where does the loathing come from?????

If it passes, eggs are going to get real expensive in CA and all over the west. From what I read, CA produces eggs for OR and WA and NV also. I've seen eggs in our grocery stores here in AZ from CA.

While I don't like how the chickens are treated, I also understand egg farmers. I'd have to vote No.

And the guys attitude is insane.

I just wish my 20 week old hens would start laying soon. Maybe it's still to warm.

How would you like to be this guy's family? He sounds soooo very likeable!
big_smile.png
roll.png

"We never thought about their happiness, only ours."
Something tells me his parents took the same attitude with their children. Talk about arrested development!
smack.gif

nature’s dumbest bird.

i'd like to see his sources for that claim. chickens don't build rockets or do surgery on brains, but birds in general don't, so where's his proof that the average chicken is stupider than any other bird? or maybe he's actually using the correct meaning of "dumb", meaning "soundless", which all chicken owners could refute. :p

Proponents say it is cruel that laying hens are crammed into small wire cages with hardly room to spread their wings. They’ve been stuffed into small cages for more than a half century.

well, that's an unarguable argument, isn't it? just because it's been done and been done widely, it's fine. i sure am glad that human social movements haven't been stymied by that kind of logic. further, is he aware of how brief a time 50 years is in the grand scheme of things? american women had no right to vote for far longer than that. perhaps he would recommend that we go back to a men-only suffrage scheme?

We never thought about their happiness, only ours.

hey, that's something about which to brag. sorry, lon, but your blind selfishness is not a valid argument.

The hen’s only function, then and now, is to lay an egg a day.

in a world of human-centric humans, this guy is king.

We even put timers on the lights in the hen house to turn them on early so the hens would think it is daylight and begin the laying process — further evidence of the hen’s stupidity.

i suppose lon never attended a biology class. if he had, he might have learned how many atavistic behaviours are directly attributable to time, season, and environment. how about those idiotic horses who are kept in a stable and blanketed, keeping them from growing a winter coat? they're too stupid to know it's winter, i suppose?

But all my friends who grew up in the poultry business understand my loathing of chickens, of having to de-beak them so they don’t eat each other, of cleaning eggs morning and night getting them ready for the market, of being pecked on the hands, face and arms by these miniature savages.

the irony here burns. "because we kept them in horrible conditions, we then had a lot more work to do to make them be able to survive under extreme stress... what horrible animals!" it really makes you feel for slave owners, too, doesn't it, having to beat, bind, and sell those disobedient, savage slaves?

the rest of this op-ed is so dumb that it doesn't even require rebuttal. a dance which mimics the movements of a chicken is not inherently evil and linked to the further evil of chickens just because lon doesn't care to participate.

what a jerk.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Yes, Proposition 2 in California would oultaw the use of battery cages, veal cages, and gestation/lactation crates for sows. It would wipeout the egg industry in California and decimate a signifcant portion of the agriculture there.

Jim

Rock on. It's about time battery cages, veal crates and gestation crates are banned. Kudos to California for leading the charge.

Farmers are smart people; they'll adapt. And I, for one, would happily pay more for such products (if I ate veal or pork, which I don't) if it meant that the animals were raised humanely.

Amy​

Quote:
I would never refer to another person as a moron myself and am frankly disappointed at the personal insults contained in many of these posts. Somehow I thought personal attacks were prohibited on this Board.

Oh, BTW, procreated is one word not two.

He's a font of ignorance and a waste of oxygen, but that's just my humble opinion (did you think it would be any different?
tongue.png
).

Back
Top Bottom