Where does your rooster....roost?

Yeah I tried to say it five times and they ended up roasted and toasted instead of roosted!
tongue.png

Anyway, thanks for the advice - in Harry's coop, the nesting boxes are actually higher than the roosts, so it may be an authority thing.

I think for Freddy it may be security, as he was so persecuted by Harry we had to give him his own coops/girls as Harry had him so terrified he was hiding in the nesting box. Gotta get into these chicken brains sometimes. But Freddy's are removable and I can just take those out at night. Harry's are built in and he is one stubborn roo, but I'll figure out something - maybe try to move a roost up higher. This was a prefab house and came with all the roosts on one level.

thanks

deb g

KY

Gotta get into these chicken brains sometimes. But Freddy's are removable and I can just take those out at night. Harry's are built in and he is one stubborn roo, but I'll figure out something out
Where exactly do you keep Freddy's brains when you take them out at night?

Mine roosts on the ladder that's used to get up to the main roosts. Which mean he gets pooed on every single night since it's under the main roosts. I've moved him to the higher roosts a couple of times but he just doesn't get it and likes that one corner ladder roost.

I also have a second part of the coop (the addition) and there's a roost over there but no one except runty (bottom of the pecking order) roosts there. It's kinda sad. But she looks so happy not getting pecked. On really cold nights I put the banty up there with her.

I think you hit the nail with the hammer when you say it's an authority/ height thing. When my Sassafras was small enough to fit on a 2X4 wall stud bracing, he would usually go for the highest point in the coop. He's roosting with the hens on the main roost bar now that he's too large to cling to the wall up higher than the main roost bar, and seems fine with it. The @#!$%@#
somad.gif
Bantam girls have their own little roost on an opposite wall, as they're bullies. I'm thinking it's a good thing that the birds roost together so they can share their warmth; at some point, Maine is going to get cold!

When the flock of eight is out for the day, they pile together for siesta - roo included - on the ground under the lilac or the lower branches of a Pine tree. There's no "authority" issues then.

PSY 101: "Thinking Like a Chicken at Bedtime"
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom