Where else would they lay?

Are you sure they are laying? How old are they? They could be laying anywhere. I had hens laying on my sons bed, under the house, in a den, out in the bushes, in my tomatoes, in the ivy, etc.... you name the place they will hide it there! Especially in places you would not even suspect. If you want them to lay in the coop, you are going to have to train them to lay there. What I did was penned mine up in the coup. Only letting them out for an hour or two at night before going to roost. At the moment I am letting them out between 12 and 1. By that time mine have already laid for the most part. Good Luck... Tes

at our house its Easter every day! we go on an egg hunt.
lol.png

their coop is 90% ready, DH is down there working on it now. but meanwhile we get eggs:

in a nook in the middle of a pile of hay
atop another stack of hay
underneath the fertilizer spreader
in the alpaca poop pile (always a favorite, yuk!)
under the alpaca hay bunk
under the tiller
loose in the temp coop
out behind an old gate out in the yard
and anywhere they just feel like dropping them.

we did put golf balls once we located some eggs in 'safe' spots, they seemed to get the idea. i'm still only finding 6-9 per day, have 26 hens, 5 are newer so maybe not laying yet but the other 12 or so, dunno where ours are either. i have a feeling as we go thru hay this winter, we'll find them.
hmm.png

plus we have a stray cat who just had kittens, she might be swiping some, but now that we noticed her, we left out cat food to try and prevent the egg snatching.

Back
Top Bottom