Where on a silkie would you apply frontline?

vpeterson

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2009
Forest Lake, Minnesota
I have a mite problem in my flock. I plan on shampooing with flea and tick shampoo and then appling Adams spot on flea and tick control for puppies. I know that its not really frontline but most people understand what frontline is. I have a cochin who is missing feathers on its underside from mites. Do I put the spot on where the feathers are missing or do I do other areas? Thanks

Squirt it directly on the SKIN. It should be applied to the head, underneath both wings, and near the vent but stay away from the vent itself. I normally spray two inches below the vent. Frontline in the vent could make them sterile so I'm assuming Adam's spray could cause the same problems.

Another option is to wash it with human lice shampoo. It'll kill the mites/lice within minutes esp if you let the silkie soak with the shampoo. Be careful not to get it in their eyes.

That should do it. Well said. I know this from experience, the bugs are so BAD this year!! I lost my 2 favorite hens to those bass-turds.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I am finding this thread facinating. I have never had a mite problem and from the looks of it I hope I never do!!! I never realized that they could actually kill a hen!
hide.gif

I thought they were more of an aggravation than something that could be fatal. Please let us know if these remedys work. I am very curious as to what the out come will be.

Good luck!!!

I don't think the frontline will kill eggs. You'll have to repeat the lice shampoo in 14 days to kill the ones that hatch out from the eggs, unfortunately. I didn't know this and learned the hard way. I received a flock of silkies that was infested with lice/mites so imagine having to wash 20 adult silkies at the same time.
sad.png

I would try to remove the eggs as much as you can. They'll just hatch in 14 days so it's probably better to just get rid of them. I would reapply the frontline a month later. Don't use too much of it since it's toxic and silkies are so small as it is. In my second application, I only squirted the top of their head and near the vent. After the second treatment, I haven't had any issues with mites/lice.

I ended up dusting all of my birds tonight (27 silkies) with permethrin insectrin dust. I put some of the eggs in a covered cup to see if they hatch. I had dusted the bedding earlier this week. I don't see the mites, I just see lots of eggs in the beads and some on the vents. Do you still think that I need to spray them as well? How long should I wait until I spray or my other option is cat flea and tick shampoo.

I've used Frontline since January and haven't seen a mite since... I really like it and only have to treat my flock every 3 months. I spray it on the skin behind the comb, under each wing, and right below the vent. I think it's well worth it.
My vet gave me great advice, he said that "mites occur in nature, like ticks and fleas, and you can never totally get rid of them. The best thing you can do is keep them off your birds." I haven't seen any in the coop though, most likely because there is no longer a host for them to feed off of.

I would be VERY careful using the Adams products... Their main ingredient is Pyrethrin and is truly not safe for animals... Personally i would reccomend you go get actaul Frontline and not an off brand...

This post is very interesting
What dose of Frontline do you use? SMall, medium or large - and is it the ones for dogs or cats? The dosage is different depending on the species, right? Now, if you use Frontline Plus, won't it kill the eggs also? Or, does it have to be Frontline Topspot, which doesn't kill the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom