Where on a silkie would you apply frontline?

My vet sold me Frontline "spray treatment" sold in a spray bottle (I couldn't imagine using the little dose tubes on every chicken!). On the bottle it says it's for dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens. The label is blue and white.

Is it safe to eat the eggs of a chicken treated with frontline? This is the first thread I've seen mentipn frontline for use on chickens, very interested, it works great on my dog and I'd prefer to pre-treat.

My vet said that it's safe to eat the eggs right away. So, I did, and I'm still kicking

And you probably don't have fleas either
wink.png

I have never used Frontline, but the things I have heard from others who have used it are:
do not use Frontline Plus as it is toxic to chickens (don't know if this is true, only that that is what I have been told)

do not eat the eggs for at least two weeks--one friend related that after Frontline treatment her birds fresh eggs were exploding

I know some people who have claimed it worked miracles in getting rid of mites and lice, and that with regular treatment they never again appear; I know others who have seen no difference than when using other products.

My best advice is whatever products you choose, you still have to keep a weather eye on your flock, and all its individual members. The bugs often do not infest the entire flock, but will primarily congregate on one or two members, causing weight loss and anemia. And yes, it can kill them. With young birds and chics they can kill rapidly.

Please do NOT use Frontline spot on or any other spot on treatment on your birds! These products are highly concentrated & meant to be used as a once a month treatment on pets. If you choose to use Frontline on your birds (and I have used it very successfully for some time) get the Frontline PUMP spray, which is meant to be an addition to the spot on treatment for dogs and is much less concentrated than the spot on products. It can still be toxic to your birds in large amounts because the carrier agent is alcohol. Use in a well ventilated area and don't ever put your birds into a carrier or tightly enclosed area after treatment where they would be breathing the fumes. I do NOT spray it on my small bantams because there is a lot of frontline in one spray. Instead, I spray some into a small container and use a small syringe to apply - 1 drop on the skin behind their head, 1 drop under each wing and a few drops around the vent area. No more than 10 drops per bird. This is equivalent to about .04 ml. for a 2 lb. bantam. In most cases, it will keep the mites and lice off the birds for about 3 months. Frontline is not approved for use in poultry, but I use it because it works. Others on this forum use Sevin dust with good results.

I find this thread interesting also.....i was wondering what are the affects if chickens get this in their mouth after preening ?
I would like to know like the poster before me what size would one get I have standard size chickens.
And Can we use this to prevent our chickens from getting mites? thanks for any info
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom