1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where should I feed and water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jakell2010, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Ok for some this may seem rudimentary but, after my first month with a dozen crazy chickens (maybe I am the crazy one) ,,, I have two waterers and two feeders, one in the run and one in the coop ( each) ,,,, SHOULD I have two,,they seem to only eat and drink outside of the coop, literally never touch the inside water and drain the outside one daily, will this change in winter?

I know I have been asking a lot of questions about winter, I am a contractor, and need to work the summer to be able to survive the winter, that's why I am always concerned about getting thru winter

Thanks for the therapy

SO ,,,, should I be feeding and watering in the coop?,,,I did notice that the feed does get wet and then turns to paste outside, even with a cover on the feeder, if I removed that it would force them to feed inside?,,,,correct

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I feed inside the coop. I have a homemade automatic feeder that holds more then 50#'s of feed that is installed outside the coop with the tray inside under a shelf I use as a roost. I currently have one 5 gallon waterer outside in the run. I fill it 1/4 full, change and wash the waterer daily. I wash it with dawn soap due to them getting it sandy daily. Once winter hits, the waterer will come in next to the nest boxes with a plastic tray underneath.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I feed/water in the run during summer, in the coop during winter.

[​IMG]

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    feed inside water outside until we are going to have under 30 degrees then it in the coop too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by