Where should I put a heat light?

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
Hello !!! I am a also a newbie....and I have been lurking....and reading all this great info !!!!I have 6 girls ....4 have just starting laying and two I am not sure what their plans are? But thats okay....three of them are from Quebec...my mom in law(78yrs) and bro in law brought them for me...We moved to the country from the city one year ago and I have named all of them after my ole hens(friends) from the old neighbourhood.... We live in Southern Ontario 40 minutes from Toronto...On a very cold January/Febuary day/night where would you place a red heat light? Our coop is approx. 3ft by 10 ft and maybe 6ft high and insulated.Staw and saw dust on floor.Should it be over the roost or in the middle of the coop closer to the ceiling?and how much watts do you think it should be ?....Merci ! and thank you inadvance.....Love this site...

Here's my 2 cents....

I would put it over the roosts, But you said it was insulated so keep a thermometer in there and check the temps it maybe possible that you won't need a heat lamp. Just a regular light bulb may give you the help you need.

Hey First time Raising thanks for the reply.....another question...our winters are almost the same....Tonight its around 20 degree's F in the coop. So on a cold January /Feb. night would you use a heat lamp in the night and what bulb wattage.Wouldn't a regular bulb keep them more awake? thanks

Quote:
This is the first winter that I have had chickens so this is new to me also. I mostly gather my info from this site or other places on the web. If the inside of your coop is getting to 20° I would use a heat lamp of 200 - 250 watts still above the roosts cause of it being the coldest time at night when there sleeping. Our birds are only 4 weeks old so there still in a brooder cage inside the coop and my temp in the brooder cage is still reading 53 - 65 at night with the heat lamp on. Your birds are all feathered out now so the main thing you need to worry about is keeping there combs and wattles from getting frost burned, You could also put vasoline on those two parts of them but that may not be very easy to do.

GOOD LUCK.....I HOPE THIS HELPS

P.S Our temps at night have only got down to about 32° until the end of this week they are saying it could get to about 22° so I have to wait and see what I need to do.

You can use a red bulb for night...or try a ceramic heat lamp. They come is 60, 100, 150 and 250 watts. They are expensive but last for several years. They radiate heat, but don't give off light. I am trying one of these for the first time this year, and so far, I really like it!

Putting them on a corner would be a good idea:)

Or if you have some kind of place for them to sleep, you can put it there to keep them warm at night.

Enjoy the site! I am also a newbie and I am enjoying it, too!

Thank you for all the info !!! and the replys
So do you think I should have the red heat light hanging directly above them on the roost or closer to the ceiling .The corner sounds good also....Does anyone have any photo's of their heat light in their coop??? thanks again !!Do you think they will be smart enough to move away from the light if its to hot? The light has a metal cover but no wire covering.This is my first winter with them and I am curious on how they will be in the cold temps. Thanks again

Hi
I would have a wide roost a 2/3 OR 2X4 on its wide side so when the birds roost the feet are flat and the feathers from the belly cover all of the feet/toes preventing frost bite.

They do make the red heat bulbs in 250 watt and 125 watt
They do not order as many of the 125's at our tractor supply so they run out fast then the 225 red ones run out and the on;y option left is the 225 clear/white bulbs.

I would not turn them on befor the temps dip into the teens.

Back
Top Bottom