Where Should I Put Food and Water for Chicks Raised by Broody?

bacibeau

Chirping
Aug 9, 2021
Hello Everyone! I am getting two new easter egger chicks that will be adopted by my speckled sussex broody hen. I am trying to get set up before they get here so that I don't have to interrupt them and mom for the first few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should put their feeder and waterer? I have been thinking about taking out the wall between the broody's box and the nesting box in the middle so that her and the chicks could have a little more space overall (and the other chickens haven't been using the middle box). Or, should I maybe build a little platform outside of the opening so that they can walk out of the box and eat/drink? When will mama start bringing them out of the coop and down the ramp to get food and water outside with the rest of the hens? Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0304.PNG
    IMG_0304.PNG
    884.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0305.PNG
    IMG_0305.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 11
I am getting two new easter egger chicks that will be adopted by my speckled sussex broody hen. I am trying to get set up before they get here so that I don't have to interrupt them and mom for the first few hours.
The first thing to do is make sure to give the chicks to your broody soon after dark on the first day the chicks arrive. This means you will need to set up a small temporary brooder with food, water and heat. Soon after dark, take the chicks out to the broody. Make sure she doesn't see the chicks as you place them behind and underneath her tail. The chicks will instinctively go under your broody for warmth. Watch her reactions to make sure she remains quiet and still. That first night is the new little family's bonding time.
The next morn, get up before dawn to observe your broody's reactions to the chicks as she sees them for the first time. She may peck at them a bit, but this is normal, and as long as she doesn't try to hurt them all is well. If she clucks gently to them and remains in the nest box, those are very good signs.

I have been thinking about taking out the wall between the broody's box and the nesting box in the middle so that her and the chicks could have a little more space overall (and the other chickens haven't been using the middle box).
When will mama start bringing them out of the coop and down the ramp to get food and water outside with the rest of the hens?
It is instinctive for a broody to wait at least 24 hours before bringing her newly hatched chicks out of the nest box for the very first time. This gives her chicks time to recover from energy expended while hatching, and they don't need to eat for 3 days anyway, since they are receiving nutrients from their absorbed egg yolks. However, feed store chicks are not newly hatched and so Do need to eat the very next morn after they are placed under the broody. For this reason, I would go with your idea to remove the wall between your broody's box and the box next door. Place the chick food and water in that second box, close enough for the chicks to see the feed and water, but also in view of the broody. She will probably remain in the nest box as she watches them eat and drink, and wait for them to return to her for warmth. By the next morn, she should be ready to bring then down the ramp to join the flock. She may not join the flock until you remove the chick feed and water from the box next door. When you choose to do this is up to you. Do monitor closely when your other hens meet the chicks for the very first time, to make sure your broody is able to protect them, and the other hens don't hurt the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom