Where should my baby chicks be at?

I haven’t seen any weasels, opossums, or any kind of rats anywhere actually. And any nearby dog would not be able to jump high enough. Any nearby cats are too afraid to approach the porch and my family has pet cats too but our cats are afraid of the chicks. All I’m concerned about is the temperature because my siblings and my parents don’t really recommend having the chicks in the house. Our house is pretty small so it’s hard to know where to place the chicks.

Just because you haven't seen a weasel or a rat or some other predator doesn't mean they're not around. I've never seen a raccoon around my coop, but there's clumps of raccoon hair that prove they've been around, for example.

In lieu of the house, do you have a shed with electricity? An enclosed garage? Is the coop already built (it's actually an ideal spot to raise chicks since they'll be living in there)?

So I just got 4 baby chicks from the feed store and I’ve put them in a big rectangular bucket with food, water, bedding, and a red heat lamp. But the only place I can put them are on my back porch and the low outside is about 56 degrees Fahrenheit. My back porch has a roof and it’s on a high ground with tall wooden fences. But is it ok for them to be there? They are actually being ok in there but I don’t know if it’s a good idea for them to be there for now until they get bigger. And they have a heat lamp in their bucket.
Why can’t you have them in the house?

Post title says "where should my baby chicks be at?" Answer: inside a secure building, whether it's your house, garage or barn- they need to be completely protected from predators and the elements. I'm not sure where you're located, but what happens if it rains or snows? Predators can smell and hear better than you think- just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they won't find those chicks. Also, I feel like a heat lamp on a sterilite container full of puppy pads is a fire hazard...maybe you've got it secured really well though...

Just because you haven't seen a weasel or a rat or some other predator doesn't mean they're not around. I've never seen a raccoon around my coop, but there's clumps of raccoon hair that prove they've been around, for example.

In lieu of the house, do you have a shed with electricity? An enclosed garage? Is the coop already built (it's actually an ideal spot to raise chicks since they'll be living in there)?
I would like to put them in one of the old coops I have but there’s no outlet to plug the heat lamp in and they’re not as high elevated as the porch is. And maybe the porch may be like a chicken coop itself. And also, the porch is the only outdoor place with an outlet and it’s connected to the house which is also highly elevated. But with the predators, I haven’t seen any evidence left behind from them.

Why can’t you have them in the house?
Post title says "where should my baby chicks be at?" Answer: inside a secure building, whether it's your house, garage or barn- they need to be completely protected from predators and the elements. I'm not sure where you're located, but what happens if it rains or snows? Predators can smell and hear better than you think- just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they won't find those chicks. Also, I feel like a heat lamp on a sterilite container full of puppy pads is a fire hazard...maybe you've got it secured really well though...
I live in the state of Texas. All my concerns are on the temperature and predators that can fly like owls or something. I also probably need a bigger brooder and hope that what I have set up right now is temporary. I should talk about this with my parents. I need to see if my parents can buy some pine shavings cause puppy pads are the only source of bedding I have right now.

I live in the state of Texas. All my concerns are on the temperature and predators that can fly like owls or something. I also probably need a bigger brooder and hope that what I have set up right now is temporary. I should talk about this with my parents. I need to see if my parents can buy some pine shavings cause puppy pads are the only source of bedding I have right now.

Yes, please discuss this with your parents and see if they'll let you move the chicks to another area that'll be safer for them. The puppy pads are ok for now, so that's at least not a huge priority, but you're definitely going to need a bigger brooder in a week or two.

Well, as someone who owns chickens, I can tell you those aren't the only things you should be concerned about. Puppy pads will get soiled quickly and the chicks will be slipping around in their poop. They will quickly figure out how to hop up on the edge of that container and escape. They will start pecking on each other if they have no room to spread out. You should've talked to your parents and had permission and a proper set up before getting the chicks. Those little critters now depend on you to take care of them.

I haven’t seen any weasels, opossums, or any kind of rats anywhere actually. And any nearby dog would not be able to jump high enough. Any nearby cats are too afraid to approach the porch and my family has pet cats too but our cats are afraid of the chicks. All I’m concerned about is the temperature because my siblings and my parents don’t really recommend having the chicks in the house. Our house is pretty small so it’s hard to know where to place the chicks.
When I got in a pinch, I put the brooder right next to my bed - and I have very little floor space in my room.
You can always try that for the night, it's not so bad waking up to little peeps!

When I got in a pinch, I put the brooder right next to my bed - and I have very little floor space in my room.
You can always try that for the night, it's not so bad waking up to little peeps!
I wish I could do that but I share a room with one of my sisters and she doesn’t want them in her room. I wouldn’t mind it though.

Rats can be awful predators of baby chicks. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to make a bigger brooder, you can get cardboard boxes and tape them together to make a really big brooder. Hopefully you have a chicken coop and run set up for them because they will need that in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom