Where should the pullets sleep?

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
The main flock of 18 sleep on 2 roosts in the 4X8 coop.. ( they sleep there then go free range once awake). however I have 5 who were raised by Miss Priss in the duck coop which is a hoop coop covered in a tarp on 3 sides and wire only in the front. they are sleeping on top a couple bales of straw but I am concerned that they will be cold with the temps dropping into the 20s. Miss priss has returned to the main coop but forgot to tell the younin' to join her. they are about half size right now, fully feathered. I have put them in the big coop 4 nights but they keep returning to the hoop coop each night before I pick them up. Should I just leave them in there or keep putting them in with the big birds after dark?

You may be a few birds over capacity in the 4x8....
...might be why mama didn't bring them in there.
Just try to keep putting them in there after dark.

there is 16' of roosting poles ... 2 of the roos sleep below.. one because he is blind in one eye so he sleeps with the bad eye to the wall, There is plenty of room on the roosts

The main flock of 18 sleep on 2 roosts in the 4X8 coop.. ( they sleep there then go free range once awake). however I have 5 who were raised by Miss Priss in the duck coop which is a hoop coop covered in a tarp on 3 sides and wire only in the front. they are sleeping on top a couple bales of straw but I am concerned that they will be cold with the temps dropping into the 20s. Miss priss has returned to the main coop but forgot to tell the younin' to join her. they are about half size right now, fully feathered. I have put them in the big coop 4 nights but they keep returning to the hoop coop each night before I pick them up. Should I just leave them in there or keep putting them in with the big birds after dark?

It doesn’t sound like you have enough room to be honest. Coop 4 sq ft per bird. Run 10 sq ft per bird. Roost space 10-12 inches per bird. You need more than one coop or a bigger one with more roost space. Also birds are creatures of habit and find change difficult. They find comfort in same routine. You have to teach them what you want them to do even if means go in right after dark when roosting and put where supposed to sleep for the night. On roosting bars. Takes more than couple days to do. Also shouldn’t have roosts higher than 30 inches. Should put roosts 18 inches apart and off wall so not pooping on each other or wall. If comfortable they will want to roost on bars.

Last edited:
There is plenty of room on the roosts
Maybe, but just barely...enough room to sleep but little room to maneuver during the RoostTimeRumble.
....and now you're adding 5 more birds, basically dealing with an integration because mama didn't integrate them to those roosts.
It's gonna be tough. Best of cLuck.

Back
Top Bottom