Where should the pullets sleep?

It doesn’t sound like you have enough room to be honest. Coop 4 sq ft per bird. Run 10 sq ft per bird. Roost space 10-12 inches per bird. You need more than one coop or a bigger one with more roost space. Also birds are creatures of habit and find change difficult. They find comfort in same routine. You have to teach them what you want them to do even if means go in right after dark when roosting and put where supposed to sleep for the night. On roosting bars. Takes more than couple days to do. Also shouldn’t have roosts higher than 30 inches. Should put roosts 18 inches apart and off wall so not pooping on each other or wall. If comfortable they will want to roost on bars.

i get the whole recommendations about 4sq per bird, but these free range and are only in the coop to sleep and lay. otherwise they are out in the horse run in or pasture, visiting the neighbor cows, or just hanging out around the property. Minute the sun is up, they come out and wait for me to open the run door to go play. roosts are far enough apart and in the winter they tend to huddle together on the roosts with large gaps. I'd let the younins stsy in the hoop coop but i am afraid they will die in the cold...... I found one of the hens dead in the run-in this morning... She bedded down in the hay last night.... and apparently froze.

i get the whole recommendations about 4sq per bird, but these free range and are only in the coop to sleep and lay. otherwise they are out in the horse run in or pasture, visiting the neighbor cows, or just hanging out around the property. Minute the sun is up, they come out and wait for me to open the run door to go play. roosts are far enough apart and in the winter they tend to huddle together on the roosts with large gaps. I'd let the younins stsy in the hoop coop but i am afraid they will die in the cold...... I found one of the hens dead in the run-in this morning... She bedded down in the hay last night.... and apparently froze.

Free ranging during the day doesn’t mean you can skimp on coop recommendations for spacing. I went by sq ft you reported. I would go out and put all birds in at night when below freezing if I were you. Winterize coop etc.

Back
Top Bottom