Where to buy fresh feed? (SE WI)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Thyme4Chickens, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    Around here, too! We are going to check our nearest TSC next week - that's when their next shipment for Chick Days arrives... and... chicken math!

I read about Scratch and Peck feeds and, after checking out their site, if money was no object that's what I would order. There are some chicken seminars coming up at the local university extension - if I can make it to one maybe I can see if folks around here go in for bulk orders to get fresh feed!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I find the feed at Fleet Farm to be of good quality, and I've not had problems feeding it. My chickens would not eat the Dumor from TS. They do carry other brands thankfully, but I've never purchased any.

Thyme4Chickens likes this.
  3. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    Our little piggies - er, chicks - don't have any objections to the Sprout feed!

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. Bugpreisler

Bugpreisler In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2018
    I would love to hear if you have found any good feed stores or mills. I'm having the same issue in south Chicago suburbs.

5. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    Howdy, neighbor!:frow My pullets are now about 10wks old, and just finished up the bag of Sprout (Fleet Farm) feed. I had no problems with it - all my birds are doing great!

After reading a lot about feeding mixed age flocks ('cuz I need more chicks! More! More!) I just switched to Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. I found it at Tractor Supply and it was only 3ish weeks past mill date.

I really want to find feed milled within two weeks:barnie

At TS the top bag on the stack was milled in March so watch out!

6. Bugpreisler

Bugpreisler In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2018
    Howdy!! Yes !!!! Before researching mill dates.. just bought a bag that was milled last year!!ugh. And they said raising chickens was easy! Thanks for the response! I wish I could have more chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: