Where to Buy Incubator in Store???

Last edited:
So Today I bought my Incubator.... I ended up getting it off Amazon...
I went with the hovarbator starter kit that comes with egg turner. it was $85 with $19.83 shipping so it came to $104 and something cents. So i had a $15.00 gift card so i used that for the incubator. and it came to a total of $89.00! Wow

http://www.amazon.com/HovaBator-Starter-Egg-Incubator-Combo/dp/B004XNMHF6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

i am excited sort of... i still have to clean off a section in my room and clean my room and get a brooder box which is a plastic tupper wear. I'm planning to get a lamp for heat. like a special one from tractor supply:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmart-reg-brooder-lamp-3208291

last time i used a regular light for $5.00 from target but it broke after I was done with the chicks.. Argh.
but will the light heat melt the plastic?

Yes the 250 watt brooder light will melt plastic. Depending on how big of a " plastic tote " you get. You can clamp it on the side. One thing that light puts off heat so you need to have it where they can get away from the heat when they get to hot.

oh...
my incubator is supposed to arrive tomorrow...
celebrate.gif

Yes the 250 watt brooder light will melt plastic. Depending on how big of a " plastic tote " you get. You can clamp it on the side. One thing that light puts off heat so you need to have it where they can get away from the heat when they get to hot.

I don't know....
here's a pic of somebody else's brooder box... (a member's) using a lamp
not sure what kind of light bolb

If you brood in ambient air temperatures of 72F, it just doesn't take that much to raise the temperature needed for the chicks. Frankly, a 60 watt bulb can do this. There are many variables. How far away is the bulb situated from the surface? Raising the bulb serves to lower the temperature, something that is needed with each passing week. A 125watt bulb has more power and a 250watt, red brooder bulb has incredible power and is also a fire hazard. Secure the heat lamp with a secondary wire support for backup protection. Brooding in a cold shed or garage requires more power as the surrounding ambient air may be cold.

The idea of brooding isn't to heat the entire brooder to 90F. The brooder heat appliance merely mimics the body of the broody hen. She only heats an area of approximately 1 square foot. She cannot and doesn't heat the entire coop. The chicks under her come and go. They'll explore in 45F temperatures. When the need warmth? They scoot back under her wings.

The brooder only needs to provide a heat spot, roughly the size of the hen's body for each 6-8 chicks. We don't want to heat the entire brooder box to a high temp. The chicks need cool places to go and refresh themselves. Hope all this helps.

Last edited:
I would recommend that you run the incubator for several days while adjusting the temp (72+ hour burn in with turner running also), also the glass thermometer that comes with them is noted for not being acurate. (I tossed mine)
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom