Where to buy

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
Just wanting to know do most of you purchase the waterers and feeders local or order online. I just got back from the local feed store and a hardware store. I priced the things I need to make my own and buy the stuff ready to go. Over all there was only a $10 difference. And that would still mean me putting thing together. Unless you have the thing just sitting around, I don't see an advantage of making you own. The feed store had the things ready to go for just a few dollars more.

What do y'all do?

We use the good old reliable galvanized hanging feeder purchased ages ago locally and nipples in a bucket for water. I have built, fabricated, and tried many different feeders and always come back to the galvanized ones. Sparrows can get to them as can other wild birds, but hanging old CDs on string near the feeder at different heights really works to keep them away as they flash in sun and breeze.

Least this works best here in AZ for us....

Last edited:
I don't think it's always about the cost. I made my own because I wanted a different design based on my coop/run size and wanted to make it poop free. The ones you buy can actually be way cheaper and way more practical depending on what you build.

Thanks. Till things get bad and I need to do something else, I'll just buy the galvanize one's.

I appreciate your replies.

Last edited:
I love making things so that's the main reason we made our pvc feeder and will be making a bucket feeder. I understand that some don't really care about making stuff or don't like it so they buy. I buy plenty though. I bought a big waterer. I also bought premade (albeit used) windows.

Last edited:
very true. Around here you have to factor in gas (TSC is an hour away and the stores nearby don't have much). To tell the truth I would rather pay extra to ship something than drive an hour to the store sometimes.

If you got a piece of plywood and some garden stakes you can make this cool and genius treadle design feeder that "Gallo del Cielo" came up with. Just follow the easy step-by-step plans, go with the 2.0 version at the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638-building-a-treadle-feeder

83761_picture_02z9.jpg

83761_picture_0z24.jpg

I have a question about that feeder. What if chicken A is stepping on the treadle and eating, and chicken B comes over from the side and starts eating but is not on the treadle. If chicken A steps off the treadle won't the cover come down on chicken B's head? Or is it not possible? The grandpa feeders I saw were similar and had a video. While one chicken was on the treadle, another came along and started eating but was not on the treadle. It made me wonder what would happen if the chicken on the treadle stepped off.

In my opinion with the pressure to open the top taking 2.6 lbs, that tells me the top is not going to weigh enough to hurt. If you watch one of the videos, one chicken was eating from the side and the one on the treadle did step off. It was as though the one on the side knew what was happening and stepped back. Chickens are very quick.

Back
Top Bottom