Where to feed?

KonaHI

Hatching
Mar 26, 2024
We normally throw scratch grains to our feral chickens near the house but in a rocky/muddy area. But when it is raining hard the area can get flooded temporarily and the chickens often shelter under the eves of the house. We sometimes through the scratch grains on the concrete driveway under the eves. The chickens don't seem to mind but I wonder if pecking at food on concrete hurts their beak or causes other damage. Note, we only do this when it is raining hard enough that the chickens are sheltering and would otherwise not eat. Any comments?

Chicken's beaks can actually get overgrown so they are known to peck or scrape their beaks on rocks, concrete, etc. I know a lot of folks have concrete floors in their barns where chickens are kept that have no issues. Thus, I really don't think it's a problem, yet, that's probably how chickens split their beaks, which isn't a common thing.

If you'd rather they didn't, you could lay a rubber mat there where you throw it so it would cut down on how much is on the concrete.

Back
Top Bottom