Where to find a rooster?

No, I am still learning how to navigate the site. Lol. I am calling the local extension office tomorrow to see if they have any info.I would love a road trip but hubby doesn't. I think most of my problem is wrong time of year and not being able to find anything local but chicks.

Under "Forum" there's an entire "buy, sell, trade" section. Theres also a section "where I am, where are you?"

I don't want the Rooster I have, but I saw a young males dark Silkie sitting on the couch on a towel, watching TV with his Dad. I started thinking hard how to get him!
I almost got an impulse rooster.

Thank you for all the feedback! I think I might've found a barred rock that I'll be looking at this weekend.
270c.png
I am hoping one of my Americaunas is a rooster, they are 5 weeks and I have 21 marans eggs in the bator due to hatch the 20th.

You could also check animal shelters. My local animal shelter has roosters.

Ours does not, they won't even come and pick up stray chickens. At our last home we had a small flock free ranging and one day I went out to feed and had an extra thirty chickens. I was politely told they didn't handle live stock and to best get rid of them I should put up free chicken signs.

Ours does not, they won't even come and pick up stray chickens. At our last home we had a small flock free ranging and one day I went out to feed and had an extra thirty chickens. I was politely told they didn't handle live stock and to best get rid of them I should put up free chicken signs.

Wow that's pretty terrible that someone would just dump them all on you, and that your local shelter system has no recourse.

It does vary by area though. I've seen roosters available at some shelters in my area but it's very hit or miss.

Our town is very small, one red light. Unless it's an aggressive dog that you've caught yourself the shelters and animal control can't do much. In the end I was able to rehome all but a few of them, so I just kept them. I couldn't bring myself to just leave them. Which is probably why I have way too many pets. Lol.

Yeah I wager it's more urbanized areas that would have shelters that would be willing to take in a rooster and rehome them, where someone might actually want it as a pet.

Glad you were able to find homes/give a home to those hens! I still find it awful that someone would just toss them out there, as it's unfair to you and could definitely have caused issues for your birds as well.

We definitely got lucky, every bird was healthy. The only issues we did have was the addition of the roosters. They were very aggressive towards anything wasn't a hen. Thankfully there was only a few.

Back
Top Bottom