Where to find buyers

Pics
I am happy to say I sold one of my older lavender orp chicks today! I made an ad on Craigslist using the tips you all have given me and I got 2 people asking just today! The buyer is coming to pick him up tomorrow! Here is a picture of the ad I made.
D2137263-9E15-4FBF-BCE6-70219DCBBF1D.jpeg

If you want to sell directly to a feed store you have to be NPIP. And depending on your state in order to sell at a trade day you may need some kind of permit for that as well. Craiglist I have found lots of pictures and updating your add as often as possible helps a lot. I am surprised you had trouble selling Lavender orpington, that is a breed that most are looking for. What month was it that you where selling them?

Really, really long post - lots of pics at the bottom -

I like to see decent pictures - not just of a beak and eyes or of the body from above. I want to see from ground level as close as possible. The EE pic is a head shot but it's very ... presentable and personable and CLEAR. It is also most definitely an EE not an Ameraucana.

Here are two other CL ad that makes me go out to their website. Information right in the title. Decent pic. Price I can afford for a bird someone else already got past the brooder stage and will stay giving me those eggs, soon. Nice pics to grab attention, then their website is nice too.

Barred Rock Chickens (young pullets/hens) - $25
Easter Egger Chickens (young pullets/hens) - $25

I've been to this farm many years ago when we were also doing Arabian endurance riding and before they were doing chickens (for sale). I've met them. One of these days, I'd love to go back... Covid & porch pick up - eh - not for me right now. About 2 hour drive one way. That said, had I found the Barred rock ad this morning, I might have contacted them.

Instead, through the Livestock Conservancy, I found the only breeder here in NC has Hollands available... I'm picking up 8 Holland pullets and 2 Holland cockerels this weekend, so EXCITED. Her listing was under the breed Holland and I'd been looking for a while at them. Contacted her today and she got right back.

- So something to think about - breeding breeds that are endangered. Becoming a member of the Livestock Conservancy and picking one breed to work with. There are a surprising amount of chicken breeds considered endangered, threatened or watch. Quite a few were developed here in the USA. Once you have eggs/chicks, make sure to be on the Breeder/Directory list.

- Something else to think about - with Corona/Covid-19 - many new small homesteads or even city dwellers getting a few chickens. Many folks starting a homestead are going to be looking at sustainable chickens that are dual purpose (eggs & meat). Some will want breeds that will set and brood their own chicks rather than have to incubate them.

- A lot of folk can/will pay more for that already started bird that doesn't need to go into a brooder until it's feathered out. They are more concerned with getting eggs now than going thru that "O, she's so cute..." phase.

- When you advertise, make sure that whatever format you use, that you will receive all folk's attempting to reach you. If you are big into church/family on Sundays, put "no business on Sunday" in your ad - that way folks know that they won't be contacted back on a Sunday, nor will they be able to purchase/pick up birds on Sundays. Sounds like you'd have a fairly short time frame you can "do business" due to school. Don't say you're a teenager/in school, but put hours of contact that are best... Saves time for both parties. I get a lot of scam calls, so I don't answer my phone and at work 4 days/week - I answer the phone/return calls. When I've done ads, I list - "leave a message or text". I then respond back. Once I'm in a conversation, I put that person's contact info into my phone - so when they do call, I know who is calling. I can always delete it later if they don't want to follow up or they've purchased and "they are done"... I am on the phone for my job 8-10 hours/daily M-TH, I can't answer my personal cell during that time. However, when I take a break/lunch, I return texts/calls.

- If you can check around to see if any chicken "groups" in your state, you may be able to get a mentor that can also give you advice on how to "grade" your breeding birds and move your program forward. That same person may have good pointers on how to get your birds "out there", so when you need to absoulutely get some sold, you can, at a price that makes at least some of your work worth it. Breeding chickens is not an in-expensive pursuit/hobby, though may be less then some... (BIG JOKE about equine - "How do you make a million $$? AH...start with 2 million $$!)

I'm attaching some pics of my birds - that would be appealing to me if I was going out to buy. I have some pics of chicks that got my attention but can't download it/them right now.
Note that I've used a free program online and cropped pic down & put info directly on it. I also did a lot of pics in 2018 - when I was working part-time and could do this. I have almost no bird pics in 2019 & 2020 due to returning to work full time and LOTS of overtime. Then I was exhausted when I'd get home. Chores were something to get through for a while...

55 Flowery Hens - they are an auto sexing at hatch breed. The hens mature "flowery" and the roos are white. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered incubating yet, so I have no birds to sell. They do not set on their nest... No current pics. Not getting eggs this winter... Did the first & second winter once they started. Their eggs are large/XLG and white.

0530_193043.jpg 180530_191352.jpg 180530_192939.jpg 180913_143309.jpg

Months later - Good looking hens, coop/pen not too gross, shows some of the first eggs. These pics would make me want to purchase - if all pics are included. If just first pic, probably wouldn't be interested UNLESS this is only person having this breed. These girls had literally just started laying and continued on thru the rest of 2019 and thru the winter again into 2020. Quit laying this fall during molt and haven't restarted...

20190112_150908.jpg
20190113_162358.jpg
20190113_162408.jpg

BBS Ameraucana - from a breeder here in NC, not mine. Later I got nice eggs and a handful of chicks. I sold most of the original stock to someone who wanted them. I hadn't advertised them - they saw photos on our Pony website/blog. The first pic - is the chicks in a rabbit cage on the ground. I'm laying on my belly w/ the eye of phone camera pointed thru one of the openings. I actually have lots of individual pics of birds - taken from the day purchased until much later. Straight run, I didn't know sexes yet. 3rd pic - the 2 pullets look very similar, however a bit light in their "muffs" (a good thing for a breeder if they have good traits. May be buying chicks back from family I sold my flock to). 4th pic - cute - shows nice muff on cockerel and better beard on pullet.

20180413_133219.jpg
20180426_190052.jpg
20180628_073135.jpg
20180628_073407(1).jpg

Pics of my Bielefelders - the day I brought them home & free ranging. Had Rhodebars and a few others out with them during the day. "JR" 's brother "Rhodie" (both are Rhodebars) became an "attack chicken". The day he attacked our granddaughter, his life went on to sustain ours. He was tasty! He was a feast for the eyes until the day he was tasty...

18apr22_184325.jpg
20181208_151640b.jpg
20181208_151453.jpg
20181208_151640.jpg

Some pics of our last 3 Lavender Orps. Mr & Mrs Cluck were purchased as part of an adult trio - the last adults that the breeder owned. The first pic is just a couple of days after getting them. Ms Cluck is a chick that was from that breeder - have no idea who her parents were. At one point, the breeder had 3 or 4 roosters and 12 - 15 hens (when I purchased my original chicks).

180701_100046.jpg

20200321_182623.jpg
20200410_183929.jpg 20200410_184826.jpg

What I would enjoy seeing for pics after this, is pics of offspring chicks of the different family groups I have...

Anyhoo. Those are some of my recommendations. Sounds like you already know where your birds fall currently in quality. Also sounds like you know how to incubate chicks (where I'm sadly lacking).

Last but not least - put a shield in place to support your heart. Things happen. There may be times that the pain is only too real. There are other times when human adults (but are they?), whom may not know what they are actually talking about, will tear your program apart...

Maybe try a professional looking post with lots of pics and info on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and other social media platforms asking for a buyer to reserve chicks.
I have a neighbor who raises her chicks for 5 months and then sells them for about $35. She has no trouble selling them as there are a people who want to start keeping a few chickens, but don't want the hassle of baby chicks

My sister posted daily and weekly pictures of the incubation process.
She had people contacting her and she had them pay 100% up front with a refund only if enough didn't hatch.
She sold out of her first big batch and was able to do two more big batches to sell.
That’s a good idea! I could do that on school bulletin boards and/or on Craigslist (I’m not allowed to have Facebook :/ or I’d do it on there)

Back
Top Bottom