Where to find the cheapest hardware cloth for new run?

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
We're building a run FINALLY - yay - but the hardware cloth is expensive. The run looks like it will be 16 x 20. It will also house a few ducks in a segregated spot. The run needs to be predator proof, so we want to wrap it in hardware cloth except for the open roof part, which would be chicken wire to allow snow to fall thru. (Part of the run will be covered, but not all.) (The ground won't be covered in hardware cloth, but will extend down a ways underground to prevent digging predators.)

Lowes has 1/2" hardware cloth in 3' x 25' sections for $50. At those measurements, it looks like the wire will cost $350 total. I was hoping maybe I could find it cheaper somewhere else. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Last edited:
To be honest, I wouldn't spend the $$$ to put up all that hardware cloth if the cover of the run is only going to be chicken wire. You might keep birds of prey out but pretty much anything else that wants to get in will rip right through the chicken wire. About all it's good for is keeping chickens in.

Are all the birds going to be secured in coops at night?

Have you looked at stucco wire? It's a thicker gauge than regular poultry wire and has 2" holes I think. The rolls usually come 36" x 150' for about $50 at my local Home Depot.

To be honest, I wouldn't spend the $$$ to put up all that hardware cloth if the cover of the run is only going to be chicken wire. You might keep birds of prey out but pretty much anything else that wants to get in will rip right through the chicken wire. About all it's good for is keeping chickens in.

Are all the birds going to be secured in coops at night?
Well, I was reading on this site where there was a discussion, and the feeling was a predator wasn't going to drop thru the chicken wire from the top, so hmm. The height of the run will be 5' or so - you think a predator might climb up there and drop thru? It would never be able to get back out again, I wouldn't think? If the consensus is it's not predator proof, then we'll have to mesh the top of the run as well, which is fine. The other feeling was that snow and ice would be able to drop thru the chicken wire better than the mesh, but that's only what I read, don't know that for a fact.

The great news is I finally found a thread here on BYC that addressed cheap hardware cloth! And I think I found a place that looks like it's half the price of what I had found: http://www.wayfair.com/Mat-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth-308B-BFJ1001.html?refid=ss389818 With free shipping over $69! WOW. Hope it's true, because that would solve my problem right there, and we could go ahead and mesh the top without it being too painful.

Last edited:
Built my run out of 2x4 welded wire fencing. Just ran it across the top kinda like the hoop coops but built a frame out of pvc pipe. Wouldn't work for small predators like weasels but keep dogs,cats and coons out.

Well, I was reading on this site where there was a discussion, and the feeling was a predator wasn't going to drop thru the chicken wire from the top, so hmm. The height of the run will be 5' or so - you think a predator might climb up there and drop thru? It would never be able to get back out again, I wouldn't think? If the consensus is it's not predator proof, then we'll have to mesh the top of the run as well, which is fine. The other feeling was that snow and ice would be able to drop thru the chicken wire better than the mesh, but that's only what I read, don't know that for a fact.

The great news is I finally found a thread here on BYC that addressed cheap hardware cloth! And I think I found a place that looks like it's half the price of what I had found: http://www.wayfair.com/Mat-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth-308B-BFJ1001.html?refid=ss389818 With free shipping over $69! WOW. Hope it's true, because that would solve my problem right there, and we could go ahead and mesh the top without it being too painful.
Yes, many a predator will climb right up and try to get in on top if they can't get in below. They don't care which way they get in, if there's a way through they'll find it. Racoons, possum, fox to name a few, can and will climb. I've seen coyotes climb into tree's to get to my neighbor's chickens and I've seen them jump a 6 foot fence with no trouble. I'm not sure who is thinking a predator won't try getting in from the top, they are very, very wrong! And if it gets in it will also get out with no problem. Racoons especially are very smart, extremely strong and very agile. And that's just one critter!

If the run needs to be night time secure then I'd go with the hardware cloth over the top.

Well then, hardware cloth it is. I can't stand the emotional turmoil of losing my chickens to a predator. It's happened before when they free range, but fortunately my dog has kept predators at bay for a couple years now - during the day.

About 2 years ago, I found hardware cloth through Amazon that was much less expensive than any other place I found. And shipping was free. Check it out and good luck!

I got my hardware cloth from wayfair last spring, the 48 x 600 / 3 rolls cost me 180$ and free shipping..I think I used a 10% coupon code to.

At one point, I know their prices went sky high, but it looks like they are back down to a reasonable cost at 66$ for the above size. I don't think you'll find it cheaper. and it is well worth it. I am 'snake' paranoid, and I also have a run that's 12 x 20+ covered 1/2 with the hardware cloth, went with ondura roofing on 1/2 as well.

I have no worries using the hardware cloth, my run/coop is like Fort Knox or should I say Fort Pox:)
Diane

Back
Top Bottom