where to find the very best welsummers

I'm booked for the next month or so but I should have some eggs after that. Here is one of my young roos.

22819_wel08.jpg

Quote:
Thanks. My main breeder roo got killed earlier this year back when I was having all my bear problems. This was one of his offspring. I kept him and his brother and sent pics to a couple people that I am familiar being knowledgeable with wellies including one BYC member whose opinion I trust and they gave him good grades. He has some minor flaws but still a pretty decent bird. As far as hen pics I will see what I have saved on my computer. My camera was sent out for the second time in as many years for the grain of beach sand inside messing up the photos.

im in the process of mending my coop and run. fixing all the mistakes i made three years ago. want to get every thing in order.

Quote:
I would second the suggestion of getting onto the Yahoo group. It is pretty loose and informal with lots of off topic posts but lots of good general info is available there, as well as the Welsummer info.

Tailfeathers (Royce) is just starting out with Welsummers but he does things all the way so I expect good things from him and have a request in for some of his eggs once they are available.

Also up in Washington is PinkChick (Kim). I understand she actually inherited part of Lowell Barber's flock. She is pretty shy/quiet but get her started on Welsummers and she has a lot of good stories. I have heard her Marans are in demand as well.

I'm not fond of the propaganda on Whitmore Farm's website but they are known for their high quality Welsummers. They were my plan B when Royce and Kim didn't have eggs or chicks available this month. They are also much closer to you than the breeders over here (PNW).

Oh, one more thing. While I have had poor luck getting good quality Maran eggs off of EBay the Welsummer eggs have been reasonable to good quality. However, be ready to pay for them, they aren't cheap.

Quote:
Uh Len, not quite sure where you got that info. I'm not just starting out with Welsummers. This year is the first year I started selling hatching eggs but I've been raising, breeding, and showing my Welsummers for awhile now. I just don't advertise it. Those who get the Poultry Press may have noticed some of my birds in there. I think that last one was one of my hens at the Cascade Spring Show when she got Best Continental and made it to Champion Row.

I'm not trying to brag here. Just didn't want there to be any confusion.

God Bless,

I've been raising Welsummers in the last three years, mostly of Calicowood lines with ONE Barber line which that one passed away earlier this spring.

As far as I know Tailfeathers has been around for a while, so he isn't no shyster about Welsummers. If you want some information, you can bet he will go out of his way and find out for you. I must say that at his fingertips, he got everything (well, almost everything) on Welsummers Who's Who.
tongue.png

There are currently several Welsummers about 1 or 2 weeks old available at Alamo Hay and Grain in Alamo, CA: phone number 1-925-837-4994. The owner of that store told me Welsummers are "the meanest chicken there is." I don't know if that is true or not. He sold me a chick he said was a Buff Brahma and come to find out it's a LIght (white) Brahma, (but what he said about Brahmas being "the tamest bird there is" -- eg chicken -- does find resonance in online commentary)

Back
Top Bottom