Where to get 2014 chicks? ideas? breed suggestions?

I like this too. But most times they are limit in selection. But I like it.
We are lucky in that our feed store carries no fewer than 6 - 10 varieties at a time. They have them about 9 months out of the year, also. -have purchased excellent birds from them.
yes, but when i bought from them ALL of my chickens but the wyandottes(who DID turn out gorgeous) were undersized, and my rooster had a wing deformity so he couldn't fly or stretch that wing out very much at all.

I would definitely not purchase from them again. Wow! -sounds like ordering might be your best option. Good luck on selecting your hatchery!!

Meyer hatchery has a great selection, I have only bought chicks from local places before. But this year I have 2 separate orders from them, 1 in Feb and 1 in Aug. Both orders I have changed like 3 times each, and every time I call they have some of the most friendly costemer service ever!
Be aware that when you call any hatchery, the people that answer the phone may not the best to ask questions about the different breeds they were just hired to take orders.
I would recommend Orpingtons. They are very sweet. But some may take up to 30 weeks to start laying. Austrolorps tend to lay a bit sooner. Barred rocks are said to be great as well.

I recommend Ideal. Minimum order is $25. Ten black sex link pullets would make that minimum. I love my black sex links from Ideal. All arrived alive and thrived and no 2 look exactly alike. They are known for their egg laying ability. They have a rare breed called brabanters that are crested that have good reviews on this site.

I recommend finding a breed you're really interested in and then searching out a local breeder of that breed rather than waste time with hatcheries. If you're really not picky about breed attend a local poultry show (not a fair) and see what there is in your area, talk to some breeders and get stock that way.

I recoment IDEAL Hatchery! When I order new chicks they are the hatchery that I always use! The shipping is very reasonable and the prices are very reasonable too! There is no minimum or max number you have to order like some of the other places and just Google them! They have a website and you can request a catalog or order over the phone or online! They also have great customer service!! I give them a five star rating!

As for breeds dominques and barred rocks are in my opinion great breeds! They don't have feathered feet and they lay nice brown eggs! But there are so many breeds to choose from! I agree with some of the posts I would maybe do some homework and find some breeds that you are interested in. Most hatcheries have color catalogs and descriptions about each breed so that would give ya an idea of what the breed is like in general

Here is my order so far. I know there are tons of breeds but I haven't ordered it yet, I just wanted to get some quantities out there and put down some breeds I wanted. Are there any breeds on the list that would go badly in a multibreed flock, or any terribly flighty/aggressive breeds?

For the large amount of birds, I figured I could sell them later on or find friends who might be looking forward to chicks this year anyways, if I need to sell any.

Last edited:
Those look like all fantastic breeds! The blue laced reds are beautiful birds! I've never personally owned any of the blue laced reds but I have owned silver laced wyandots and the rooster I had was quite aggressive! That's not to say that they are all like that! But mine was! That is a great list and some awesome egg layers! I think that you would be happy with all of them or any combination of them! Good luck!!! :)

Those look like all fantastic breeds! The blue laced reds are beautiful birds! I've never personally owned any of the blue laced reds but I have owned silver laced wyandots and the rooster I had was quite aggressive! That's not to say that they are all like that! But mine was! That is a great list and some awesome egg layers! I think that you would be happy with all of them or any combination of them! Good luck!!! :)

Thanks! Yeah, I have heard that wyandottes CAN tend to be a little meaner than some breeds, but it's all in the genetics and way I raise them, I suppose. I'm super excited to get some BLRWs, though. And I'm excited for... Well, all of them! c:

I prefer to get my chicks from private breeders, so they don't have to be shipped . I don't know where in the Pacific North Wet you are in, but I have had really good luck finding chicks on Craigslist, especially in the Kent area. My chickens are used to grass, mud, and everything else in between.... it's amazing how resilient they are! Out of my 45 hens in my main chicken yard, I got 30 eggs yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom