Where to get 2014 chicks? ideas? breed suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by honeybunny, Jan 9, 2014.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    I really want to get some chicks for 2014, although I'm not sure where to get them. I don't need show quality birds but decent looking, health birds are a must have, obviously. I only have four(a bunch of predators scavenged out hens a while ago... :c) now, and I want to get to having around 15, which would be an order of 11, and I'm not sure if any decent hatcheries allow a minimum order of that little... I live in the northwest and want a variety of breeds in my flock, here are some characteristics I look for in a breed:

- Good egg productivity(I don't raise meat chickens)
    - Tolerant of other chickens(multibreed flock)
    - Larger eggs
    - Friendly towards people
    - At least some breeds lay a little here and there throughout winter.
    - medium or large sized
    - no feathery feet, im afraid they may get drenched in the mud and wetness here... fuzzy heads are okay... would love to get a couple chicks and have dad freak out when they grow afros, haha. c:

2. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    If you just looking for hatchery birds I would look into McMurray, Purely Poultry, and maybe Ideal.

Few years back I used to order from hatcheries I ordered from McMurray then Purely Poultry who drop shipped from Ideal and had healthy chicks from day 1 and no doa from both. As for breeds I would try Crevecoeur for a top hat breed and try Black Australorps, Jersey Giants, and Naked Necks for eggs.. All are cold hardy and lay good size eggs.

3. GarthRyan

GarthRyan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I would recommend ideal because all of my birds came from there (although I bought them from my local feed store) but they have a minimum order size of 25 for chicks.

And for larger/nice breeds I would recommend black Australorps. They also lay well. Very calm too.

4. honeybunny

Aug 31, 2012
    What about cackle hatchery, are they okay?

5. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Do you have a local feed store that stocks chicks? I prefer this option. -can see the different breeds and choose the chicks you want. -eliminate shipping (potential issues).

6. Davey G

Davey G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    We get our layers from our local feed mill also. I suggest BOs or Buff Orpingtons. They are supposed to be an excellent and winter hardy breed. also you could try Rhode Island Reds or/and Red Star or Red Sex links.

7. honeybunny

Aug 31, 2012

yes, but when i bought from them ALL of my chickens but the wyandottes(who DID turn out gorgeous) were undersized, and my rooster had a wing deformity so he couldn't fly or stretch that wing out very much at all.

8. Davey G

Davey G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    Well then for hatcheries I suggest McMurray or Ideal.

9. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Call Cackle Hatchery with your questions and they will guide you the right way. They are very customer service friendly.

10. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I like this too. But most times they are limit in selection. But I like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by