Where to get good layer feed?

I know several organic feed mills in PA that also do not use fish meal because of the organic question. Fish meal with Naturox (?) sold by Fertrell is certified organic, I believe, but the hard core organic people may choose not to use it. I buy a local no-soy feed that is transitional organic and has fish meal which I prefer. You are right that one can never be sure, but I feel the farmer is being as truthful as he can and the feed is great. My chickens do better on this feed than any other I have tried. I do like Nature's Best Organic, but I feel that animal protein is needed, as my chickens don't free range. I would definitely buy a Non GMO feed if I could get it. I have to pay $31 for 80 pounds of my feed, but it lasts my 12 chickens 5-6 weeks. It's hard to know who to believe and we have to make our own choices. Good discussion either way.

THANKS sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo(breath)ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

Last edited:
"THANKS sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo(breath)ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!"

You are more then welcome. I'm just trying to share what I am "learning" based on my searches.

I don't want to hurt/annoy/whatever anyone else! I am just trying to share! I hope you find something in these sites helpful.

My goal is to supply my family w/the most organic product. I sell my eggs for $2/dozen because we cannot consume all of them in baking/eating. I am not selling for a profit (would like to cover food costs) but otherwise... hey, I'm doing this for my family. If others benefit so be it.

Most of my customers are elderly (what is up w/that?) and are dealing w/allergies, fixed incomes, etc., based on that I am just trying to get my eggs to what they need - am I wrong?

I cannot charge what Trader Joe's does despite the effort that goes into getting this right. I just want people who cannot afford places like Trader Joe's to be able to come to someone like me.

I'm a "softie" as my hubby says... I just want to help others...

I am sorry I screwed up my last post but hope I have corrected it.

Do your own research - two eyes are ALWAYS better then one! We may have different opinions or standards but we can always correct each other based on the research!

I will always be open to suggestions....

Hi Cindy,

I would really be appreciative of links to the sites. I'm at a loss here in NE. You are in "Amish" Country. I am not. I am from VT. My husband is from NZ (New Zealand) and born/raised on a 700 hundred hector farm but living in NH. They raised sheep. We in VT, did not... it was more poultry around my time... cows... lots of cows... milking cows... my family has a history w/cows!

Having said that, if they SHIP (lots don't - pick up only) that would be great but I still need no GLUTEN (wheat), soy free, etc!

This has become a huge problem for me as I would like to help Sr. B (my daughter's first grade teacher) out with this but she is so Celiac! Just like my Hungarian customer who initially put me onto this... she did not request... I want to do this for them. Neither of them are "dairy" sensitive! What is up w/that? It is in the feed and I use organic BUT that does not "guarantee" - by a long shot that it is gluten (wheat) free, etc.

Hence my problem. I need truly gluten free (wheat), no GMOs, etc. - all in NE! I have not found that even in Green Mountain Organics which I thought was "organic" BUT they take advantage of the "5" percent thing from what I can see! I don't understand why a "supposedly organic" company would do that except to make a profit.

I am at a loss here. IF I have to pick up my ingredients separately I will. I can and I will do that... my research has included this info.

I'm just not sure that a "standard feed" is the best I can do right now.... more research, for sure!

Last edited:
Hi Cindy,

I would really be appreciative of links to the sites. I'm at a loss here in NE. You are in "Amish" Country. I am not. I am from VT. My husband is from NZ (New Zealand) and born/raised on a 700 hundred hector farm but living in NH. They raised sheep. We in VT, did not... it was more poultry around my time... cows... lots of cows... milking cows... my family has a history w/cows!

Having said that, if they SHIP (lots don't - pick up only) that would be great but I still need no GLUTEN (wheat), soy free, etc!

This has become a huge problem for me as I would like to help Sr. B (my daughter's first grade teacher) out with this but she is so Celiac! Just like my Hungarian customer who initially put me onto this... she did not request... I want to do this for them. Neither of them are "dairy" sensitive! What is up w/that? It is in the feed and I use organic BUT that does not "guarantee" - by a long shot that it is gluten (wheat) free, etc.

Hence my problem. I need truly gluten free (wheat), no GMOs, etc. - all in NE! I have not found that even in Green Mountain Organics which I thought was "organic" BUT they take advantage of the "5" percent thing from what I can see! I don't understand why a "supposedly organic" company would do that except to make a profit.

I am a a loss here. IF I have to pick up my ingredients separately I will. I can and I will do that... my research has included this info.

I'm just not sure that a "standard feed" is the best I can do right now.... more research, for sure!

You are right. I always find something "lacking" with the mass produced feeds, but then I am only over thinking it and thankfully don't have allergies at this point!

"You are right. I always find something "lacking" with the mass produced feeds, but then I am only over thinking it and thankfully don't have allergies at this point!"

Hi Cindy,

Too true about "over thinking" some things. So talking about "over thinking" ... I decided to search this afternoon for info on Celiac restrictions.... low and behold I found this:

http://www.gf-glutenfree.com/celiac_disease.FAQ.htm

Come to find out even IF you feed chickens "wheat, etc." it does not transfer to the eggs! So the wheat is not the problem my customers are having issues with which leads me to believe their reaction is more to the soy or perhaps fish meal. May be?

Like you, I don't have these allergies but I know those who do suffer greatly as it does really limit what they can eat. That makes it really hard for them to attend family gatherings etc., because they have to be so careful and don't want to impose. So in the end they decline invitations out and that starts to isolate them which is sad. So we are very lucky that we do not suffer from any of this!

I'm kind of scrambling at this point as my local feed store has a distributor coming in on March 1st. He has been trying to help us but, as always, it it is a "cost" issue. We are currently paying about the same price as you but for a 50 lb. bag for our 9 Orps, and 1 Sex-link (the other two died). Mind you we have 6 Astro's coming and 12 ducks!

Needless to say I am kind of anxious to find a feed for all of them that suits are needs.

Thank you so much for all your help!

I get my layer feed from my neighbour, he makes it himself and sells it by the barrel. He also gets the grain he uses from local farmers. its not really a big deal for me, but for those are want to support local people, its a nice place to go.

My local feed supply store carries the Nutrena naturewise layer feed. Its supposed to be all natural, but could be a sells gimick, I 'm not sure.
http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/products/poultry/naturewise-poultry/naturewise-layer16/index.jsp

Its only a few dollars more, however weather or not its worth it or not I'm not sure, but the eggs do taste great and the yolk is really yellow.

I could not find anything on their site that states they are "organic certified". My guess is the marigold is what is giving the really yellow yolks. I could be wrong.

All "Natural" does not = "Organic". Depends what you want - I don't want soy or fish meal in my feed. Neither are truly "organic" and not a "natural" part of a chickens diet. Besides, the soy transfers to the egg (hormones, etc.) and I have read it takes two weeks to get soy out of your egg!

Fish meal can contain mercury another bad additive. Chickens don't normally eat fish. So why add fish meal - cheap protein!? Cheaper then adding dried peas, etc.

Keep in mind you are buying feed destined to "commercial growers" - not back yards. Think about why and what you want to achieve from raising your own chickens and eggs. If you don't want a supermarket brand then you have to do a lot of research!

Modesto Mills: http://modestomilling.com/soy-free-poultry.html - has 3 certifications and doesn't include any of the bad stuff. Most only have one and that is the USDA... weakest to be called Organic from what I've found in my research.

Unfortunately, it is very costly to bring to New England where I live but am thinking about it.

Organic mill stores like Anita's in BC, Canada who gets her grain from the States would definitely help you on your quest.
Whether it be winter or summer I feed my indoor birds and outdoor birds sprouted organic red hard wheat. Now I am trying their organic kamut and french lentils and so far they like sprouted popcorn, sunflower seeds, and red wheat. Probably everything as long as I throw in yogurt for digestive health. You would not need a forty pound bag either to get the same nutrition. Sprouting increases the value by 100 percent. you can make a large mixing bowl full at a time and it keeps in the fridge at least a week. Plan on rinsing it daily even in the fridge. A bleach solution to kill the mold before you soak them is suggestable too.
I read today that corn is good for the winter so they can keep more fat on themselves BTW.
Experimenting in a new hobby is so exciting.

Back
Top Bottom