Where to get good layer feed?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
My health food geek aunt (lol) won't buy eggs from me if the hens are fed corn. Any suggestions where i can get feed without much, if any, corn in it? And, do any of ya'll have any EASY food recipes that i can make for myself?

I know several organic feed mills in PA that also do not use fish meal because of the organic question. Fish meal with Naturox (?) sold by Fertrell is certified organic, I believe, but the hard core organic people may choose not to use it. I buy a local no-soy feed that is transitional organic and has fish meal which I prefer. You are right that one can never be sure, but I feel the farmer is being as truthful as he can and the feed is great. My chickens do better on this feed than any other I have tried. I do like Nature's Best Organic, but I feel that animal protein is needed, as my chickens don't free range. I would definitely buy a Non GMO feed if I could get it. I have to pay $31 for 80 pounds of my feed, but it lasts my 12 chickens 5-6 weeks. It's hard to know who to believe and we have to make our own choices. Good discussion either way.

None of the chicken feed around here contains corn, except for the scratch. Chickens don't need scratch.

Sorry, but folks who don't want to buy what I am selling can buy elsewhere. I wouldn't change my feeding program for one person who wanted a few eggs.

My health food geek aunt (lol) won't buy eggs from me if the hens are fed corn. Any suggestions where i can get feed without much, if any, corn in it? And, do any of ya'll have any EASY food recipes that i can make for myself?

Might want to buy some no corn pigeon feed.

I'm curious why your aunt doesn't care for eggs from chickens that are fed corn.

I found a local farmer that has the feed mill make some for him. I simply buy a bag from him when needed. He's a lot more sensitive to the organic and free range stuff than I am, and I know the feed I get from him has corn in it. I think the eggs taste better than from the pellets, so i use his feed (but it's not because I'm a health food geek)

LOL you don't have to be a health food geek to perfer farm fresh eggs! they're just plain DELICIOUS! As for the no corn feed, who knows. i guess it's not a naural thing for them to eat as i guess it fattens them up to quickly or something. I'm not sure about this. I might just get corn feed and say, 'sorry, it's to much of a hassle to buy no corn feed!'
hu.gif
I have plenty of people lined up to buy anyway!!!!!!!

I'll be saying "Sorry, my eggs are great. Feel free to find some not fed corn elsewhere." It isn't like feeding them corn is loading them up with hormones or chemicals or some other sort of questionable practise.

MAybe it is not the corn she is worried about maybe it is more ofthat alot of corn now is GMO, I feed a layer ration that is non, gmo, & non soy organic, yes it cost more but they chickens sure look healthier, It's kinda like your are as healthy as what you eat so are your chickens, but it is also personel preferance too.

MAybe it is not the corn she is worried about maybe it is more ofthat alot of corn now is GMO, I feed a layer ration that is non, gmo, & non soy organic, yes it cost more but they chickens sure look healthier, It's kinda like your are as healthy as what you eat so are your chickens, but it is also personel preferance too.

I buy organic cracked corn...you might see if she will allow this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... good idea. ChickensAreSweet. MY family is into healthy eating to. My mom makes her own whole wheat bread, and we always eat a whole loaf fresh out of the oven! Do chickens like bread?

Back
Top Bottom