Where to get good layer feed?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
My health food geek aunt (lol) won't buy eggs from me if the hens are fed corn. Any suggestions where i can get feed without much, if any, corn in it? And, do any of ya'll have any EASY food recipes that i can make for myself?

None of the chicken feed around here contains corn, except for the scratch. Chickens don't need scratch.

Sorry, but folks who don't want to buy what I am selling can buy elsewhere. I wouldn't change my feeding program for one person who wanted a few eggs.

My health food geek aunt (lol) won't buy eggs from me if the hens are fed corn. Any suggestions where i can get feed without much, if any, corn in it? And, do any of ya'll have any EASY food recipes that i can make for myself?

Might want to buy some no corn pigeon feed.

I'm curious why your aunt doesn't care for eggs from chickens that are fed corn.

I found a local farmer that has the feed mill make some for him. I simply buy a bag from him when needed. He's a lot more sensitive to the organic and free range stuff than I am, and I know the feed I get from him has corn in it. I think the eggs taste better than from the pellets, so i use his feed (but it's not because I'm a health food geek)

LOL you don't have to be a health food geek to perfer farm fresh eggs! they're just plain DELICIOUS! As for the no corn feed, who knows. i guess it's not a naural thing for them to eat as i guess it fattens them up to quickly or something. I'm not sure about this. I might just get corn feed and say, 'sorry, it's to much of a hassle to buy no corn feed!'
hu.gif
I have plenty of people lined up to buy anyway!!!!!!!

I'll be saying "Sorry, my eggs are great. Feel free to find some not fed corn elsewhere." It isn't like feeding them corn is loading them up with hormones or chemicals or some other sort of questionable practise.

MAybe it is not the corn she is worried about maybe it is more ofthat alot of corn now is GMO, I feed a layer ration that is non, gmo, & non soy organic, yes it cost more but they chickens sure look healthier, It's kinda like your are as healthy as what you eat so are your chickens, but it is also personel preferance too.

MAybe it is not the corn she is worried about maybe it is more ofthat alot of corn now is GMO, I feed a layer ration that is non, gmo, & non soy organic, yes it cost more but they chickens sure look healthier, It's kinda like your are as healthy as what you eat so are your chickens, but it is also personel preferance too.

I buy organic cracked corn...you might see if she will allow this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... good idea. ChickensAreSweet. MY family is into healthy eating to. My mom makes her own whole wheat bread, and we always eat a whole loaf fresh out of the oven! Do chickens like bread?

Hi,

I'm wondering if your aunt has an corn allergy? If she does then there are feeds out there that are corn free. If she is simply afraid of GMOs (everyone should be) then there are feeds that are also GMO free. Please note that not all "organic feeds" are GMO free - they should be but there are "loop-holes" in the classification of "organic" that can be used by the manufacturer. In some cases it simply means they do not add antibiotics to the product!

In NH I can free range except during the winter months. Even w/out snow the ground freezes so we have to feed the chicks. I have been feeding them the Green Mountain Organics pellets but will be changing that soon. Why? Because they contain (all non GMO) wheat (gluten allergies), soy (another allergen), and fish meal (yet another allergen & can contain mercury) - none are necessary to raise healthy chickens! Non GMO corn is the least offensive but there are still people out there that are allergic to corn or do not want GMOs in their food. Corn could be easily replaced by sunflower seeds but are more expense and not subsidized like corn. So I give my chicks sunflower seeds which are higher in Omegas instead of corn.

I've been doing a lot of research on poultry feed lately and find that the best feeds are out on the West Coast. Currently working with my feed store supplier to improve his feed selections and he is more then willing to help which is great! I'm just doing the research...

Bottom line is I have customers w/allergies the most serious Celiac disease. She cannot eat my eggs but buy them for her family because she gets ill because of the "wheat". I have another who is sensitive to "soy" (known to cause man-boobs and breast cancer - organic or not - only Asians can process soy properly).

The hunt is on for an organic soy-wheat-fish meal-corn free feed. I have found one that is minus all but the corn produced on the West Coast. They use non-GMO corn so it is far safer then what I am using not but not perfect!

Please remember your feed goes into the eggs. If your feed contains ingredients that people are allergic to they won't be able to eat them no matter how "fresh" they are or this will get ill! If your feed contains GMO ingredients you have defeated the purpose of raising your own chickens - all you have eliminated is the antibiotics.

My customer who is Celiac pays $5/doz. at a health food store otherwise she cannot eat eggs. I have read that it takes 2 weeks before "soy" comes out of the eggs once the chickens diet is changed. I'm still looking for how long it takes for wheat to come out of the egg and am hoping it is the same time frame. She has agreed to be my "guinea pig" - if she can eat my eggs - anyone can (I hope)!

That is my goal... a truly organic egg and I'm sure my chickens will be very happy with their more natural diet!

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom