Where to get poults from? (Mississippi)

lbfdap21

Songster
Dec 1, 2021
Hi all, I'm looking to get my first turkeys this next year.

Had initially planned on placing an order with Cackle Hatchery for Bourbon Reds now that their order page is open, however, after reading through the forums, I'm wondering if it might be smarter for me to find a breeder or different hatchery closer to home. I'm located in Mississippi so Cackle is a pretty far trek from me for baby turkeys.

Thoughts on this? Or any recommendations for hatcheries/breeders close to where I'm located?

I haven’t had great Craigslist experiences, so I tend to avoid it. If I don’t get any other leads, I may have to though.
I sell my poultry on my local craigslist.

I have ordered poults from Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys, McMurray Hatchery and Efowl all with satisfactory results. The poults from Efowl were shipped from Missouri. Now Efowl just sends you straight to Cackle to purchase poults.

Ask wherever you order your poults from where they are being shipped from. Just because a hatchery is located one place does not mean the poults won't come from somewhere else.

McMurray's is located in Iowa but the poults they shipped to me came from New Mexico.

Ive bought chicks from Cackle several times shipped to West TN, they have good stock and birds arrived fine, they always threw in about 5 extra so if I lost 1 or 2 I was never outta pocket. Hope that helps!

I don't know the area very well, but for what its worth, I have ordered from Meyer hatchery in Missouri with good success. I believe ideal hatchery is in Missouri as well. A bit closer at least than Cackle. I have seen chicks shipped all the way across the country with no problems, but I usually also try to order from a nearby hatchery. 👍

I ordered from Cackle last year. Ordered 11 and they sent 14 all healthy and survived. I think they may have just started taking orders for next spring shipments. The advantage with Cackle is they take smaller orders.

Ive bought chicks from Cackle several times shipped to West TN, they have good stock and birds arrived fine, they always threw in about 5 extra so if I lost 1 or 2 I was never outta pocket. Hope that helps!
This is good to know. I'm in NE MS, so they probably won't travel too much further to me than they do to you. I might be overthinking all of this. Just want to be sure I'm making the smartest decisions from the start!

Back
Top Bottom