Where to get sand for coop - central North Carolina

DaisyFaye7

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
Central North Carolina
I’m building a new coop, currently, and am thinking I’d like to line it with sand. I know I need a course sand, not play sand, and I’m trying to find a place to buy it. I’m thinking river sand would be most ideal. I’m in central North Carolina, basically right in the center of the state. Anybody have any leads? I’ve been calling around, but everybody just has mortar or play sand.
Another thought: anybody ever line their coop with a combo of regular sand and fine gravel?

Last edited:
I guess you're north of the fall line because in my part of central NC the ground is nothing but sand. :D

Will you be able to keep your sand ABSOLUTELY dry?

No matter how carefully you scoop the poop some of the poop dust won't come up. It will accumulated in the sand and then when it gets wet it will REEK.

What do they call this product?
Vulcan calls it “washed construction sand.” I tried getting sand from a stone company but all they had was “paver sand.” The stone company guy said what I was looking for is called “screenings.”

Everybody calls it something different; you need to describe what you want, how you want to use it, and say you don’t want sandbox sand.

Also, the price for 1 “shovelful” (approximately 3 cubic yards) at Vulcan was $29, and delivery was $150 (I live in Stokesdale NC 3 miles from their site :rolleyes:).

Vulcan calls it “washed construction sand.” I tried getting sand from a stone company but all they had was “paver sand.” The stone company guy said what I was looking for is called “screenings.”
Yep. there are few if any standards.
I learned this when buying sand for concrete sculpture.

Everybody calls it something different; you need to describe what you want, how you want to use it, and say you don’t want sandbox sand.
Better yet.... go look at it, touch it.

I guess you're north of the fall line because in my part of central NC the ground is nothing but sand. :D

No matter how carefully you scoop the poop some of the poop dust won't come up. It will accumulated in the sand and then when it gets wet it will REEK.
Yeah, I’m in heavy clay soil here. My plan is to line the coop with sand (fully enclosed and roofed addition on my barn). I’m planning to line the run (also roofed) with mulch.

I believe there are rock quarries that may be fairly close they sometimes have a coarse sand from the crushings. Not the fines as that is almost dust with very small pebbles. Martin Marietta & Vulcan Materials are 2 of the Biggie's. There are some sand pits in central NC. Check the yellow pages or better check Google

Back
Top Bottom