Where to get sand in Middle TN? Opinions?

tantricdragon13

Songster
7 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Nashville
Hey all! I've been researching and plan to switch to sand in my girls' run instead of dirt. The sand seems like it will work better, give better drainage, keep the odor down, and even provide a decent dust bathing material for the chooks that won't leave giant holes all through the run.

Here is the main thread that I was reading about using sand: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

I didn't get through the whole thing (77 pages), but most folks sound like they really like using it in both the run and the coop.

I'd love to hear any Middle Tennessee thoughts on how well it works here to have sand. Also where are people getting the sand? Lowe's is selling a 1/2 cubic yard of sand (not playsand) for $36. A local mulch shop sells fine sand for $21 for 1/2 cubic yard. Much better price, but not sure if fine sand is appropriate for the chickens. I saw some folks on the BYC Facebook page expressing concern that the finer sands could cause impaction in their crops.

Where did you get your sand? Anyplace offering good chicken sand for cheaper?

Hey all! I've been researching and plan to switch to sand in my girls' run instead of dirt. The sand seems like it will work better, give better drainage, keep the odor down, and even provide a decent dust bathing material for the chooks that won't leave giant holes all through the run.

Here is the main thread that I was reading about using sand: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

I didn't get through the whole thing (77 pages), but most folks sound like they really like using it in both the run and the coop.

I'd love to hear any Middle Tennessee thoughts on how well it works here to have sand. Also where are people getting the sand? Lowe's is selling a 1/2 cubic yard of sand (not playsand) for $36. A local mulch shop sells fine sand for $21 for 1/2 cubic yard. Much better price, but not sure if fine sand is appropriate for the chickens. I saw some folks on the BYC Facebook page expressing concern that the finer sands could cause impaction in their crops.

Where did you get your sand? Anyplace offering good chicken sand for cheaper?

Call one of the guys who provide gravel for driveways. They usually have a handle on large quantities of sand. After all you have to have it when mixing concrete. Years ago my cousin ordered some from the quarry that is up 31W on the way to Portland. I don't remember its name.

Last edited:
Call one of the guys who provide gravel for driveways. They usually have a handle on large quantities of sand. After all you have to have it when mixing concrete. Years ago my cousin ordered some from the quarry that is up 31W on the way to Portland. I don't remember its name.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of those businesses. I'll have to look around!

Also, love the quote in your signature.
gig.gif

I believe the main problem is dust. Go look at whatever is for sale on a dry day, pick it up, and throw it down. If it seems dusty it’s too fine. Otherwise, I think it would be good.

I recently bought a few bags of paver sand from Lowes for the inside of my coop. It was coarse and had lots of small gravel, which is nice for grit. However, my first cleaning was filled with all the gravel that wouldn’t pass through my poop scooper.

I believe the main problem is dust. Go look at whatever is for sale on a dry day, pick it up, and throw it down. If it seems dusty it’s too fine. Otherwise, I think it would be good.

I recently bought a few bags of paver sand from Lowes for the inside of my coop. It was coarse and had lots of small gravel, which is nice for grit. However, my first cleaning was filled with all the gravel that wouldn’t pass through my poop scooper.

Thanks for the dust tip!

Yeah, I saw the paver sand at Lowe's, but it started to rack up the cost for an entire run coming in small bag installments. But sounds like I can use that for a good reference for the sand I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom