Where to have broody hen raise chicks?

I'm glad all four hatched. I also let my broody hens hatch and raise the chicks with the flock but my coop and probably run are different from yours. I'm not trying to scare you or discourage you but let's chat about a few things.

Sometimes my hens bring the chicks off of the nest within 24 hours of the first ones hatching. Some have waited until they are in the third day, well over 48 hours. Since all of your eggs have hatched the odds are it will be sooner than later. I set food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to it when the hen brings them off. The other chickens tend to treat any food I put out for the chicks to be a special treat, even if it is exactly the same feed they normally eat. I have to work to keep that food available. Also, chickens scratch a lot. They can cover any food or water on the coop floor in bedding. I put a piece of plywood on top of the bedding and set the water on that to reduce the amount of trash going into it but I have to clean bedding off of that plywood to stop them from scratching that in the water. The way I feed it stays pretty clean but you may have to do something with the feed too.

My coop is an 8' x 12' ground level walk-in. Yours is elevated and with your small number of chickens may be fairly small. Do you have enough room to put food and water on the coop floor? Do you have enough room for four more chickens. But lets talk about what happens next. My nests are 2' or 4' above the coop floor. When my hens bring the chicks off they never go back to the nest. The hen settles down on the coop floor when she warms the chicks or at night when they are sleeping. If your nest is near coop floor level she may take them back in there at night. It doesn't matter but I did not want you thinking she needs a nest. A lot of people on this forum seem to think that.

My pop door is about a foot above the coop floor and the run outside. The chicks can't all jump that high right after hatch, though you may be surprised at how well they can maneuver in just a couple of days. My broody hens tend to keep the chicks in the coop for a couple of days before they go outside. Once they go outside they go out every day and spend all day outside, with the hen bringing them in the coop to sleep at night. I have over 3,000 square feet available outside so they are not at all crowded.

With your coop elevated you probably have a ramp. I don't. What often happens the first few days is that when it is time to go inside the hen hops/flies up to the top of the ramp and calls her chicks. They crowd under the pop door but cannot get to her. They do not know to go to the foot of the ramp and walk up. They will learn in a few days but for the first few days you need to be out there as it is getting dark as they may need your help getting in the coop. Instead of a ramp I build steps both inside and outside of my pop door out of pavers. They may not know to use a ramp but they can climb those steps pretty well.

I don't know what your facilities look like or how your broody will behave. Each hen is different and we have different facilities. Good luck and enjoy.

Congratulations! If it were my flock, and I felt the rooster was getting too rough with the chicks, I’d be more likely to separate him than I would the hen and chicks. That being said, I have never had a rooster harm a chick. One of the sweetest exchanges I have seen was when the broody - desperate to get outside and take a dust bath - ran out of the pop door, into the run and instantly flopped down and started “dusting”, leaving her babies in the coop, terribly confused. Along came the rooster and stayed right with those babies until Mama returned. I had never seen a rooster babysit like that before.

I have a broody now that is a RIR in a commune of about 36 hens and 6 roos... I can't imagine those 6 roos fighting for paternal rights. It is possible that all six are involved with mama setting on a dozen eggs.

Mama and Chick Update:

I got home from work and went to check on the little family. Mama only had 2 babies with her. The other 2 were near dead in the run with injuries all over them. I am assuming that PJ's curiosity about picking them up and dropping them expanded to maybe tossing them around a little - but this is just an assumption. They were both barely alive but hanging on, I had to break their necks and put them out of their misery.

Mama and the remaining 2 babies are now moved to another coop by themselves and are doing well. That experiment failed. Next time I raise chicks in the coop near the flock with a broody they will have their own separate space built in - a look no touch barrier.

I'm sad that 2 little ones had to lose their life but glad I still have 2 left. Just wished I had gone with my gut and moved them sooner. Lesson learned.

I'm glad all four hatched. I also let my broody hens hatch and raise the chicks with the flock but my coop and probably run are different from yours. I'm not trying to scare you or discourage you but let's chat about a few things.

Sometimes my hens bring the chicks off of the nest within 24 hours of the first ones hatching. Some have waited until they are in the third day, well over 48 hours. Since all of your eggs have hatched the odds are it will be sooner than later. I set food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to it when the hen brings them off. The other chickens tend to treat any food I put out for the chicks to be a special treat, even if it is exactly the same feed they normally eat. I have to work to keep that food available. Also, chickens scratch a lot. They can cover any food or water on the coop floor in bedding. I put a piece of plywood on top of the bedding and set the water on that to reduce the amount of trash going into it but I have to clean bedding off of that plywood to stop them from scratching that in the water. The way I feed it stays pretty clean but you may have to do something with the feed too.

My coop is an 8' x 12' ground level walk-in. Yours is elevated and with your small number of chickens may be fairly small. Do you have enough room to put food and water on the coop floor? Do you have enough room for four more chickens. But lets talk about what happens next. My nests are 2' or 4' above the coop floor. When my hens bring the chicks off they never go back to the nest. The hen settles down on the coop floor when she warms the chicks or at night when they are sleeping. If your nest is near coop floor level she may take them back in there at night. It doesn't matter but I did not want you thinking she needs a nest. A lot of people on this forum seem to think that.

My pop door is about a foot above the coop floor and the run outside. The chicks can't all jump that high right after hatch, though you may be surprised at how well they can maneuver in just a couple of days. My broody hens tend to keep the chicks in the coop for a couple of days before they go outside. Once they go outside they go out every day and spend all day outside, with the hen bringing them in the coop to sleep at night. I have over 3,000 square feet available outside so they are not at all crowded.

With your coop elevated you probably have a ramp. I don't. What often happens the first few days is that when it is time to go inside the hen hops/flies up to the top of the ramp and calls her chicks. They crowd under the pop door but cannot get to her. They do not know to go to the foot of the ramp and walk up. They will learn in a few days but for the first few days you need to be out there as it is getting dark as they may need your help getting in the coop. Instead of a ramp I build steps both inside and outside of my pop door out of pavers. They may not know to use a ramp but they can climb those steps pretty well.

I don't know what your facilities look like or how your broody will behave. Each hen is different and we have different facilities. Good luck and enjoy.
Thank you for your very detailed response yesterday @Ridgerunner.

My current set up, honestly was not the best for raising the babies with the flock. I knew that going in but thought I'd try anyways. Many of the situations you described were all things I was concerned about with my current coop, but was going to try my best to make it work. Your set up sounds like what I am aiming for with the next coop.

This summer's project is for us to build a new coop. We already have the cement floor poured. My husband just has so many other projects on the to-do list, that it's taking the back seat until his parents' garage roof is re-shingled! Couple of weekends and we will be back on track... as soon as the much needed rain is over with anyways.

Our new coop is going to be 10x12, the chickens will actually get 8x10 of it, and the rest will be storage. It will have an attached 10x20 covered run done in 1/2 in hardware cloth and DH says he's making the run so we can expand it more next summer.

It will also have a built in brooder area or segregation spot if needed. This coop will be much more functional and user friendly for both myself and the chickens than the last one. The old coop however was my first one and the design seemed so good at the time, until I started using it and realized what I actually needed!!

Thanks again for your feedback and advice. It's much appreciated. <3

I personally have my broody separated in her own separate part of the chicken yard with her own little coop. She’s still within sight of the flock and they can all interact, but the chicks remain safe. So far they’re 2 weeks old and doing great! I prefer it this way so a chick can’t be accidentally or intentionally injured by flock mates or get themselves stuck somewhere in the chicken yard. I’ll probably wait to introduce the chicks until they’re fully feathered and can fend for themselves. I know many people would say that’s doing too much but I’d rather be safe than sorry (especially because the chicks I hatch are special breeds that I purchase).

Here’s some photos of my separate area!
85824F63-B123-410D-B761-2DB1B16BFC91.jpeg

96125CAB-1AA2-4777-95F3-CA07A4B40EDF.jpeg

I’m sorry it didn’t turn out well. I would caution you to not wait too long to integrate mama and babies back into the flock. If you wait until they’re too old (sometimes that’s 3-4 weeks), mama is no longer wanting to take care of them, and they’ll be on their own. I usually keep them separate for a week or two before integrating them. I have also let broodies hatch within the flock. There are a lot of variables that determine what I do. When I first started raising chickens, I’d keep mama and babies separated for 6-8 weeks. That’s way too long. She’s done with them by then.

One of the first batches I introduced early, I was glad I did. They had been with the flock from the time they hatched. When they were 5 weeks old, a raccoon came in the middle of the day and killed the mama. But the babies were already established in the flock, so it wasn’t a huge transition for them.

I'm sorry to hear you lost two little ones. It's heartbreaking when something like this happens and we wish we'd listened to that little voice in our heads. You cannot beat yourself up; you can only live and learn.

I have always separated my hens to an adjoining run separated by hardware cloth as soon as they start to set. This way they have peace and quiet, don't have to defend their nest from any interlopers, and can leave it more often to eat, drink, poop, and dust bath without having to rush back because another hen when in with her eggs.

Once hatched, my moms were always EXTREMELY protective of their chicks and had a HUGE personal safe space which they vigorously defended from any other chicken, hen or rooster. So keeping her separate from but next to the flock kept her completely calm and eliminated all fights. This is especially true of your coop/run doesn't have enough room to allow your other chickens to avoid the new family and give mom the safe space around her kids she feels she needs.

I have also found that most hens will peck chicks that are not their own as will a rooster and it doesn't take much pecking from an adult's sharp beak to cause serious injury to a chick and if it can't immediately run back to the safety of mom then it is really a sitting duck (no pun intended) for further attack.

I hope this has been helpful. Again, I'm sorry you lost two of your new family and I'm sure it will be better and more successful next time.

If no one has harassed her during incubation she should do well raising her brood in the flock. I do that all the time. The rooster will help keep things calm. Because she is right there with her flock they all know chicks are coming and should accept them readily.

Does your flock already eat an all flock type feed with oyster shell on the side because of the rooster? If so, you are all set. If not, switch.

If you've never seen a broody do her thing you are in for a true treat. It isn't just watching her and the chicks but the interactions of them with the rest of the flock. I have a hen who has never even thought about being broody. But she is fascinated with the broody hens and their chicks and likes to defend moms that get into scuffles and walk around with them at a distance. Three times I have seen her jump into broody hen fights and break them up driving off the non-broody girl. I call her Aunt Alecia.
When my 3 broody Seramas hatched a chick a few weeks ago, there were only 2 other mature hens in the flock, the rooster, and 6 juveniles. Small Sofia and Miniscule Maddie were 2 pure black Serama sisters born last year. Small Sofia was broody helping her mother and aunt raise the baby, and Miniscule Maddy wasn't that interested in it. But when the tiny baby chick walked over to her and pecked at her eyelid a few times she just sat there and let it happen. She is very well behaved around chicks and smaller poultry. Sadly the baby didn't make it

Back
Top Bottom