Where to keep my baby chicks

k625

Songster
12 Years
Aug 14, 2007
Florida
I am going today to pick up my little chicks. No more than 4. They are about 3 or 4 weeks old. I was told to just keep some sort of heat source in/on their "box" for another week or 2. I wanted to keep them in their tupperware in the bathtub, but my mom isnt too fond of keeping them inside. She said the garage. We live in Fl and right now in t he shade its a good 88 degrees or so. We have a fan in the garage, but is that a bad idea? Let me know what you all think is best. Everyone on here is such a little chicken eggspert...lol and I just love it. Thanks for the help!!
Katie

Do you have a coop, and run for them? With your temps, and them being 4 weeks already. I would say they are ready for the coop! They should be feathered out completly now....and will be fine. Dont forget to get some chick starter...medicated. Congrats on your new chicks....and of course we want pics!!!

I do not have the coop built yet, I am in the process of. I may get the group of chicks that is a little younger so I can give my self some more time to build a coop. I have heard both bad and good about the medicated starter. Some people say its great, and ive heard some people say they have had chicks die from it, so I dont know what to do?

ALL of my chicks get medicated starter. I have yet to have a problem with it. ( over 40 just this year)
Do you have a fenced yard for them to run in during the day? Will there be someone there to watch over them from predators? Do they have bushes, or other cover to get under when they are spooked? These are things to consider before putting them outside. You can keep them in the garage, even with a fan, as long as it does NOT blow directly on them.

The yard is fully fenced. Never had a sighting of animals out there, but I know they are there. There are not really many bushes or anything. The yard is almost fully covered with oak trees. The coop is going to be some what close the house when all finished. I hope all will work out well.

You shouldn't get them until you have a safe place for them. You don't sound prepared for them. I wouldn't let a fan blow directly on them in the garage.

Well, I figured If I got them young enough they wont be going out in the coop until they are about 6 weeks or so, these are silkie bantams, so they are quite a small bird. So if they are now just 3 weeks old I still will have time to build my coop. It will only take me a day or so. That is not my biggest concern for now. The fan in the garage is up really high, and is on low. They wouldnt be positioned directly under it. Its like a 2 and 1/2 car garage, so I think I could find a place to position them just right I hope
smile.png
. I cant wait to see them!!

Back
Top Bottom