where to place waterer and feeder?

tralfaz

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Do I need a waterer and feeder inside the coop or just outside?
I learned quickly that my hanging feeder needs to be in a covered area. What are your tips for where the waterers and feeders should be located? Is one enough or should there always be a backup in case of failure. I'm more worried if something happened to the waterer in a hot day, though it rarely gets above 100 by me.

Lots of factors go into this decision. How many chickens do you have, and how old are they? What is your set-up like? Pictures would help. Chickens don't eat at night, but mice and rats do. Many of us keep the feed locked up at night for that reason. You will get many answers. Multiple feeding stations assure that everyone eats in a large flock, especially if there are bullies or weaker members. Do you free-range? That can be a factor as well. For myself and our flock of about 20, we keep the feeder in the coop and waterers out. We do not want humidity in the hen house, especially in winter.

I keep feed and water in both of my raised coops.
I also keep water outside the coops.
I've had one feeder for up to 7 Chickens.
20190927_050527_resized.jpg
20191207_092223_resized.jpg

My coops have plenty of ventilation even with a heated base. 20191207_092057_resized.jpg . If your coop is small or doesn't have good ventilation then keep water outside. But chickens should have access to water at daybreak or when a lightbulb turns on. GC
ETA; my coops are rodent proof when I close the pop door, if yours is not, put the feeder into a large metal trash can with lid at night.

Last edited:
Lots of factors go into this decision. How many chickens do you have, and how old are they? What is your set-up like? Pictures would help. Chickens don't eat at night, but mice and rats do. Many of us keep the feed locked up at night for that reason. You will get many answers. Multiple feeding stations assure that everyone eats in a large flock, especially if there are bullies or weaker members. Do you free-range? That can be a factor as well. For myself and our flock of about 20, we keep the feeder in the coop and waterers out. We do not want humidity in the hen house, especially in winter.
currently 6 with plans to expand to 12 later in the year. RI Reds ranging from 4-7 months. Coop and run are work in progress and should have the coop done this weekend and run the following weekend. At the moment, they are housed in a partially done shed, with no siding, just temporary fencing around and on top. They have been there for a few days, then will move them to the coop next.

So do you only load to feeder each day with enough food for the day? I don't plan to free-range in fear they will get away in my very suburban town. But they will have a run to move around.

I keep feed and water in both of my raised coops.
I also keep water outside the coops.
I've had one feeder for up to 7 Chickens.View attachment 2081832View attachment 2081835
My coops have plenty of ventilation even with a heated base.View attachment 2081849. If your coop is small or doesn't have good ventilation then keep water outside. But chickens should have access to water at daybreak or when a lightbulb turns on. GC
ETA; my coops are rodent proof when I close the pop door, if yours is not, put the feeder into a large metal trash can with lid at night.
I'll try water inside initially and see how it works out. And will also add more vents to the coop as I'm still in mid-build.

So do you only load to feeder each day with enough food for the day? I don't plan to free-range in fear they will get away in my very suburban town. But they will have a run to move around.

You could do that. I have mine in a five-gallon no-spill bucket feeder that does not attract vermin. You could also remove the feeder at night and put it in a secure place.

Oh, and keeping your chickens confined to a run is a very good idea in a suburban situation. Neighbors will not appreciate chickens in their flower or veggie gardens, or poo on their porches. Plus the chickens would be prey to dogs and other predators.

The "right" placement will depend on your individual set up.

I do feeder inside, as we get a lot of rain having the feeder inside keeps it dry no matter what the weather is like. 7 lb feeder, and even though it's inside I still remove it every night and place it in a metal trash can to keep rodents at bay.

Waterer outside, even though I have ample ventilation I don't want any excess moisture in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom