Where to purchase started pullets in PA, MD area?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aeddave, Oct 25, 2015.

1. aeddave

aeddave New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    Two of our three hens were killed this week by a dog neighbor that got lose. I want to get her some companions quickly. Anyone know of farms where I can get started pullets (cold hardy breeds) in south central PA, northern MD, Eastern WV area?

No trimmed beaks please as our hens free range.

Thanks

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Congrats on your first post, but very sorry regarding the circumstances. [​IMG]

Are you looking for any particular breeds, other than being cold hardy? You could try posting on Craigslist, or once you have 20 posts on BYC you can post in the "buy/sell/trade forum". There are also several hatcheries out there that sell started birds, as long as you don't find shipping costs. Another option would be to use the search bar above to search for your state's thread and see if anyone on your state's thread have any for sale near you. Whatever you decide to do, I would still give the advice that you quarantine the new birds for at least a month before introducing them to you remaining hen. You never know what pests, parasites or diseases new birds can have, even when they are coming from reputable people.

Good luck!

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. aeddave

aeddave New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    We lost a Barred Rock and Americauna. Would like the same but won't be picky as long as we can get them quickly. Our remaining hen already seems lonely and comes running to us when we go outside.

We do plan to keep them separate for a while. We have several fenced pastures so they can acclimate to each other without direct contact.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry you lost two birds to the neighbor's dog. That's a story we hear too often.

Good luck finding some new birds, trailrider330 has given you some possible sources.

Thanks for joining us!

6. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]
    Good Luck with your chickens.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - hope you are able to find the pullets you are seeking.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by