Where to put Brooder Thermometer?

DeesChkns

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Riverside, CA
Hey guys I'm getting my babies tomorrow where do I put in the thermometer?
[/IMG]

Welcome! I have the thermometer nearly under the heat lamp, the warmest site. If it's over 95F, I adjust the lamp up. I don't understand your brooder setup. Where's the bedding? Why wire? They need a solid floor with bedding, not mesh or wire. Mary

Welcome!  I have the thermometer nearly under the heat lamp, the warmest site.  If it's over 95F, I adjust the lamp up.  I don't understand your brooder setup.  Where's the bedding?  Why wire?  They need a solid floor with bedding, not mesh or wire.  Mary
Hi Mary. I have training pads on the bottom cover with paper towels. Only for the first few days though. I don't want them to develop spradle leg or however you spell it. My dad threw in an extra mesh I originally had one as a platform for the food and water so it doesn't get poo in it.

I do not have my chicks yet but I have read two methods for placing the thermometer...some say directly on the floor and others say 3" off the floor. Not sure which is correct but I think it will be more important for you to monitor their behavior. You can place the thermo either place to start with and adjust based on their behavior. Content, softly cheeping = good heat, cheeping loudly, panting, etc. all means you need to make an adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom