Where to put my chicks?

SimonChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Markyate, London England
I've recently had the pleasure of hatching chicks, it's time to go outside now and I don't know whether I should put them with my Seramas for a while before putting them in with the hybrid flock? Or should I put them straight into the main flock?

Hi! Congratulations on your babies!

First, a lot depends on how old they are. Integrating chickens can be tough....and down right deadly if mixing chicks with adults. How old are they now?

Everything I've read says to wait until they are 16 weeks for full flock integration. However, if you can set up a barrier/wire fence between the flock and the babies, it will keep them safe while allowing them to slowly integrate with the flock while they get to know each other by sight and sound of voice.

That's a tough age to put them in with full grown chickens. I'm not sure how it would work with the Seramas....they'll probably still get beat up. I agree with the previous poster that it would be best to keep them separated within the adult chickens for a few weeks (at least - and that depends on how much space you have).

They could easily be killed or severely injured at that age with adult chickens.

Back
Top Bottom