Where to put roosting bars and what material to use

I have also considered building like a roost “ladder” with hinges at the top and a latch on the bottom that would hook to the ceiling to make it to where the ladder hinges up to make cleaning easy. If that makes sense at all. I’m just not sure if that would work for the chickens.
That can work, and will let you get the roosts completely out of the way while cleaning. Or you can install the roost bars to sit in some sort of bracket where they can simply be unscrewed or lifted up to remove, which would accomplish the same.

I have mine (I use branches) held in place with fence post brackets. I rarely bother removing them but they're just held in place by nuts which can easily be loosened by hand.

coop1.jpg

This is for 8 hens as of now.
The floor is 4x8 and then the nesting boxes are a few inches off the ground and stick out so they don’t take up floor space.
I am truly not sure if I want a poop board of if I just want deep bedding. I want to use the poop for my garden and I can’t decide how to go about it the best. This is the last thing I really need to do and I can’t decide which way I want to do it.
If your nests are only few inches off the floor, then deep bedding might not work.
Fitting roosts and a poop board for 8 birds in a 4x8 coop will be a challenge too.

Back
Top Bottom