Where to put the feeder??

ColoradoChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
I have some decisions to make about an upgrade to our coop/run/goat shed and I have a question about where feeders should be placed.

I have an established chicken coop/run for my nine hens and one pullet. I added four chicks three weeks ago to the family and they've integrated nicely. They have full run of the barnyard all day every day and go back to the brooder in the garage at night.

The chickens all share the barnyard with my goat and pig. Everyone's happy.

Instead of trying to incorporate the chicks into the existing coop when they're ready to leave the brooder box, I'd like to add a roost/poop board and couple of nesting boxes to the goat shed. They already spend many daytime hours there getting out of the sun and seem to like their own space instead of going into the coop with the other hens.

The question is, can I put a feeder at roost level? I can't put a feeder in the goat shed where the goat or pig has access, so I'm thinking of putting it at roost level with access only a chicken can get through.

The 2x4 on the wall would be the level of the 20" wide poop board, with the roost being 6" above. I would build an area that goes through the wire into the upper level of the shed (space for supplies and feed) that only the chickens could access.

Man, I'm long-winded today - sorry.

Anyway, will the chickens feed at roost level?

Thanks much!

Our coop and run is within our large goat pen. The run is made of no-climb horse fencing with a pop door surrounded by 6" rounded posts. (Our full size goats can easily go through a pop door if it does not have posts around them!) Goats are very smart and they will get to chicken feed if they can. Placing a feeder up very high seems to be a bad idea to me. The feed will spill all over below and the access location would be poor. I would suggest a hanging a feeder about 6" up off the floor level and out away from roosting bars. I hang our feeders below the poop board shelf to ensure that they stay clean as well as the spillage area below the feeders. I place a 2' x 2' bead board below the feeders (on the pine chips on the floor) so they can eat the spillage.

Back
Top Bottom