where to start

Any thoughts of where to start

Start with a good book! May I suggest "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. I got a used one on ebay or amazon for under $5. The best money I ever spent! Answered all my questions--and I few I didn't know I had!

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Start with a good book! May I suggest "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. I got a used one on ebay or amazon for under $5. The best money I ever spent! Answered all my questions--and I few I didn't know I had!

thumbsup.gif

I agree, great book, I also went to the library and picked up everything I could, they had books specifically on chickens, also on farm animals, and a great one on animal housing specifically with lots of pictures. I just got a copy of "Raising Farm Animals" at a local flea market for $1.00. But Storey's Guides are great, and they have them on several topics.

Quote:
We use 2 different types of feeders, 1 long trough with a cover to help reduce waste, and a bucket type which seems to work the best( see photos) and mine have access to the feed all day long. Waterers, see in photos. The coop is supposed to have 4 cu feet per bird, and 1 nesting box per 3-4 birds I'd say. Put the nesting boxes on an east side wall. Your local feed store should know where to get the breeds you want or you can find them here on BYC. Feed - 0 to 6 weeks = chick start. 6 weeks to first egg = grow mash. After first egg = lay mash & scratch. And treats of all kinds of course
big_smile.png
(at 7 weeks +)

15615_chicks.jpg

Waterer for chicks (so they can't fall in and drown)

15615_waterer.jpg

For older birds. We use this type inside the coop.

15615_waterpan.jpg

Again, for older birds. We use this type outside in the run, our's is blue though to help keep it cooler.

15615_feeder2.jpg

The cover helps to reduce waste, mount it on some wood so they can't knock it over. I put scratch in this.

15615_feeder1.gif

I like this one because I don't need to fill it everyday. I put lay mash in it.

Hope this helps. It's still dark here or I would go take some better pics and of the coop and run. (I will add later).

Then there's all the other gadgets you'll need for your new hobby
wink.png
I'll show some later as well.

A few more pics.
15615_img_0840.jpg

15615_img_0841.jpg

I converted the back portion of our wooden garden shed by removing one side panel and moving it over one stud. And put a dutch door on the front to keep the dog out.

15615_img_0842.jpg

15615_img_0850.jpg

15615_img_0848.jpg

15615_img_0837.jpg

The shelves and workbench were already there and on the east wall. I divided the center shevles into 3 nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom