Where's all the peeps that got MPC Special *Updated Pics 5 Weeks pg 3*

hangin'witthepeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Colbert, GA
So no new guesses guys? I thought we would be "flocked" here playing guessing games. Mine are three weeks old this week and I have a few narrowed down.

2 Polish BCW
1 Polish White
2 German Spitzhauben
2 BR Maybe Cuckoo Maran (black legs now with white on back
1 Buff Chantecler
2 EE (runts no muffs or tailfeathers concerns about roo's)
3 White Leghorns or Rocks (still unsure)
1 ???? but I believe it's a Roo, comb development and no tail feathers
1 ???? white with bits of black in the wings and tail, just not sure
9 Brown Leghorns (but hoping some are different)
1 died

Last edited:
I got my Rainbow Special last Wed, they are 1 wk old today as the box stated they hatched at 5 am on 9/21/09.

All 26 are doing well. I had 4 of them that had pasty butt. It looks as though I got most of the ones I asked them to include: EE's, Specked Sussex, White Plymouth Rocks, Light Brown Leghorns, Silver and/or Golden Lace Wyandottes.

The 3 that I thought were the White Rocks I think now are White Leghorns because they have pinkish/orange legs and the White Rocks should have darker legs/feet. On two of them, the white wing tip feathers that are growing in rapidly have a little brown in them.

One lighter yellow/grayish I thought was an EE because of the lamb chops maybe the White Rock. Still undecided on that one.

I have a much that look like the brown leg horns but some of them are more tan and some more of a chocolate brown with the chipmonking - real curious to see how they all turn out.

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_007.jpg

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_026.jpg

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_029.jpg

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_027.jpg

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_025.jpg

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_020_2.jpg

24846_rainbow_pullets_sept_23_2009_015.jpg

I'll take more pics tonight at 1 wk old and then every week there after to see how they all develop.

Do you have recent pics of yours?

I got mine on the 15th. I dont' know what they are, and I don't care because they are all just so beautriful and robust. I am not good at identifying chicks. Maybe I will be able to tell when they are grown. All I know is that it is the best 40 bucks I ever spent.

hikerchick -

Do you have any updated pics you could share?

I don't really care what they are either and it is part of the fun not REALLY knowing and waiting to see how they develop over time.

Mine are almost certainly a mix of white leghorns, brown leghorns, SLW, black austrolorp, 3 dominiques, and one that looks like a red sex-link. At first I thought it was a buff orp, but the feathers are coming in kind of reddish and white, so I don't think it's a buff orp. I have no EE whatsoever, which kind of bums me out, I was really wanting some of those! There is also one that looks like a black austrolorp, but is really big! I'm thinking maybe a jersey giant, but they are supposed to have all-black feet and legs? My chick's legs have some black on them, but the feet are all yellow (?) I think!

Not much of a 'rainbow' mix, I got brown-eggers and white-eggers, whoopee
hmm.png
But still not bad for $40

I didn't get any polish like so many of you did, so I have some on order from Ideal, due to arrive on or around the 9th of October
big_smile.png
Plus I have some EE in the bator
smile.png

My 26 Rainbow Pullet specials 1 wk old today

After taking the pics tonight, I compared to chicks at MPC site and think I have ones I didn't think I got originally. Input would be great.

EE's - although the yellowish/grey one doesn't have dark legs but does have the lamb chops
24846_rainbow_special_sept_2809_006.jpg

Jersey Giants???
24846_rainbow_special_sept_2809_002.jpg

I thought these were white leghorns or white rocks but the feathers are coming in a little tanish and white. Could they be Red Stars?
24846_rainbow_special_sept_2809_008.jpg

Australops?
24846_rainbow_special_sept_2809_012.jpg

3 Silver and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
24846_rainbow_special_sept_2809_014.jpg

These 8 little ones could be Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorns, and/or Welsummers. A couple of them are more tan vs medium brown
24846_rainbow_special_sept_2809_016.jpg

Yes, my little brown chipmunk ones are confusing. But look at the leg color. I have some that are yellow, pink and tan. I believe there are subtle differences that represent a different breed. Down color (the dark stripe) is Black, brown and red/brown. I am hoping I have some Welsummers, Brown Leghorns or Sussex. Just not all one type. They are all feathering out the same color at different rates. If they are Brown Leghorns I will petty much have all white eggs. Where's the fun in that?

I just stand over the brooder, scratch my head and remake my guesses on a daily basis.

I KNOW we have (had):
3 - white crested black polish
2 - golden campines
3 - silver spangled hamburgs
3 - buff or white cochins
1 - blue or splash cochin
2- sumatras

The there are the hmmmmmmsssss.

1 - maybe welsummer maybe brown leghorn
2 - that I thought (hoped) were silver laced wyandottes but then realized over the weekend that they have single combs, so they are back to the "who knows" column
1 - black chick, maybe austrolorp but really no idea
7 - that are currently feathering in white, I'm guessing that some are maybe white rocks and the others are white leghorns based on size differences

But at this point, I'm not putting money on any of my guesses.

These 8 little ones could be Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorns, and/or Welsummers. A couple of them are more tan vs medium brown

The one in the front and the back on the right sure look like Welsummers to me.

I don't see any in the group of 8 that look like Speckled Sussex. I got some this year - they have white legs, a creamy light-colored chest that really contrasted with the body color (see especially the one chick in the background of the photo), and white tips on the wings (you can see that on the chick on the left).

Here are the SS chicks:
22119_dsc_0339.jpg

and one Welsummer - which I thought was the prettiest chick ever created!
22119_dsc_0291.jpg

Very cute chicks!!​

verlaj, that's a BEAUTIFUL pic of your Welsummer chick!
love.gif

I feel the same way about the Wellies (that's why I have one as my avatar!).
wink.png

My MPC rainbow layer order was scheduled to ship out yesterday; I didn't hear from the post office this morning, so hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow morning. I gave the guys at the post office a heads up; they've been great about calling me when I have shipped eggs coming in; I think they're just as excited as I am about live chicks coming in instead of just eggs (it's my first chick order)!
lol.png

I be sure to post pics.

Back
Top Bottom