Wheres the eggs?

There is a lot of different ways to entertain the birds. I have a grass catcher and when I mow with it I collect the grass and put it in their pens. They love to scratch through the grass clippings. You can also use leaves. I also now and then put flock blocks in their pens which they love to peck at. I made a chicken ladder out of some scrap wood for the birds to climb on. I have also hung cabbage and lettuce which they also love to peck at. When I pull the plants like broccoli, cauliflower, etc, out of the gardens after harvest I put the plants in the pens and they will devour the leaves which leaves only the plant stems. During the winter months after the grass stops growing I buy bales of alfalfa which they also love. Good luck and have fun...

1 maybe too many for 7.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

As far as them not laying yet, here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

It may be too late in the season for pullets to start laying,
as the days are shortening exponentially.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Mikefrydaddy
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2850094
1 maybe too many for 7.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

As far as them not laying yet, here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

It may be too late in the season for pullets to start laying,
as the days are shortening exponentially.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Mikefrydaddy
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2850094
You mentioned late in the year...Do you think that is why my 21 week olds aren't aren't laying?

You mentioned late in the year...Do you think that is why my 21 week olds aren't aren't laying?
Could be partly that....and/or it's a later laying breed and/or 'too many boys' stress.
IME, if they don't start laying by mid august, probably gonna have to wait until after solstice.

Back
Top Bottom