1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whetten?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by herrgab, Sep 14, 2008.

1. herrgab

herrgab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2008
    I just got these today and I'm not quite sure what breed they are. The guy said they are Whettens, but I cannot find any info on them. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Wow, those are cool looking! Whatever they are they have rose combs....that's the extent of my knowledge....Is it possible you heard wrong or are spelling it incorrectly?

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    They are Wheatens. That is a color variety--not a breed. The males are always orange, red & black, and females are cream and tan. I'm guessing your chickens are Wheaten Old English Game chickens.

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

She is right about the wheatons, I was thinking that the chickens looked like Dutch Bantams though.
    Its hard to tell though without more pics.
    Someone might know for sure.

5. herrgab

herrgab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2008
    I have two cocks and two hens. Would it be wise to let them run around with my Rhode Island's or should I keep them seperate?

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I'd say those are single combed birds. The male is dubbed, so it doesnt look like a single comb. But yes, Wheaton is the coloring, as stated.

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I'd say those are single combed birds. The male is dubbed, so it doesnt look like a single comb. But yes, Wheaton is the coloring, as stated.

My bad....I never claimed to be right....LOL!!! Thanks for the correction....

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    LOL! No problem. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, what SH says.... that's what they are.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Jorday is correct, they have single combs, and the male is dubbed. They are not dutch, as dutch have white earlobes. They are wheaton oegbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by