Whey block

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jarcoo0153, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I was selling my produce and eggs at the farmer's market this morning, and me and this man were talking about poultry. I said that I was having problems with pecking and I already knew that they need more protein. He told me to get a whey block and it would fix it . This makes sense, because whey is protien. but where can I buy one? TSC or can my purina mills feed store get me one? Has anyone else done this? Is there another protien supplement that I can feed? I have used game bird chow but it didn't seem to help much!
    Any tips help advice is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jared

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Tennessee Plateau
    I feed mine pinto beans (cooked and unseasoned) as well as BOSS. they love the beans. I would stay clear of whey since it is a milk by-product and ckickens are lactose intolerant.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. MaPa26

MaPa26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Kansas
    Hmmm. Interesting. My Dad used it as a last resort when his chickens turned into cannibals. In over forty years of chicken raising, he had never had such aggressive birds. He picked up a block at a CO-OP and they calmed down and stopped attacking each other. They had no digestive problems, as I recall. I give my girls plain yogurt for a treat; about a tablespoon per hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by