Which birds do I keep?? Anyone interested in the maybes??

SportTees

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Southern Middle Tennessee
I'm wanting to get down to about 15 birds. I started with over 75 and am down to 34. I can't figure out who will be the final cut on the chickens. The ducks are also starting to multiply to fast. Do I just keep a few breeds or just the hens and a single roo or ??? Here is what I have right now:

3 buff orp hens (3 mo old)
6 speckled Sussex ( 2 mo old)
2 delaware hens (2.5 mo old)
2 partridge mixes ( 3 mo old) ( hen &roo)
2 EE (2.5 mo old)
2 barred rock (2.5 mo old) (hen & roo)
3 RIR ( 2.5 mo old) ( 1 roo & 2 hens)
1 BLK copper Maran roo ( 3.5 mo old)
3 Blk Silkies ( 3 mo old)
7 Cochins (possible banty from TSC??) (1.5 mo old)
1 turken banty (1 mo old)
1 buff orp (2 wks old)
1 Serma ( 1 wk old)

1 royal palm Turkey ( 2 wks old)

4 Muscovy ducks ( 3 mo old)
4 mixed ducks ( 7 mo - 1 yr old) ( hens & 2 drakes)
1 roen ( 2 mo old)
5 mixed ducks ( 2 wks old)
2 nest with ducks sitting so possibly more ducklings

Totals
34 chickens
1 turkey
14 + ducks

What would you cut??

Last edited:
Try craigslist I want some more EE's but your too far away. I wouldn't want to get rid of them your very lucky to have that many.

I'am just wondering what I should get rid of?
hu.gif

If it were me I would get rid of all the non productive ones.
I would say all banty's (there just pretty to look at really)
Then just pick your favorites out of the rest.2 of each or whatever.Ducks same thing.

Depends on why you have them. The best answer is going to vary a lot if they are primarily pets, egg producers, meat producers, etc., or some combination.

My vote is you could get rid of those 6 speckled sussex....

TO ME! ; )

good luck, you are in for a hard choice!

Well if you want layers, keep the older ones, they are almost to the point of lay.
Sell the ones you have to have in the brooders.. it will make your life a lot easier
smile.png

Do you want fertile eggs? And purebred? Then keep the trio with a roo.

As far as the ducks... I would just keep a few of your favorites.. again you need to figure out why you have them, do you want to breed or not? Same thing here.. keep the older ones , less work for you.

I mean without giving us more info on what you are doing or wanting with your birds you are going to get 20 different opinions because everyone has different favorites.

I would wait to see which ones are closest to their confirmation. If it was me and knowing how bad an eye I have for confirmation, I'd give away a show quality bird and keep all production.
IF you give up on your Sussex put me in line too. I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom