Which birds should we take to the fair 4H & open class show?PIC HEAVY

Quote:
bow.gif
you nail them , i have to be honest
thumbsup.gif

I like cockerel B's comb. Five points. That is the standard for most breeds. I don't know much about D'Uccles; I just thought I'd share what I thought.

If you are showing a trio, the pullets need to look as close to identical twins as possible.

The pullets need their beaks trimmed badly. Look at your photos as see how the top beak has an "overbite"?

I use nail clippers, and if needed a file.

I think everyone has picked some good birds for you but I have to agree with Sonoran, please please please trim those beaks immediately. They look bad and they get in the way of eating properly.

I was wanting to trim the beaks but wasn't sure if it would count against her for showing. They are eating fine and I planned on doing it after the show, but I will do it tonight now that I know it won't count against her. I think they will not only look better but feel better. As I mentioned we have never shown and don't know what to expect, and after reading several articles on do's and don'ts it left me with more questions than answers.

If you said to me, come in and pick 2 to show for yourself, Cant help it, I would choose 2 pullets, the last 2 D and E....Like D best probably.

Used to seeing roosters with some more spots. But the slightly more colorful hens will help that.

(I would trim just a little , I would , Im maybe a little too detail oriented.)little things add up if you want the blues.

do the toe feathers need to come into middle toe? cant remember and too tired to look it up.

Last edited:
I'm on my way to the fair with chickens for the very first time, these are great photos and I am learning so much from all the comments. It is great to be able to read the educated comments and then refer back to the photos and make the comparison.

Now I have to run home and see my girls beaks...

Back
Top Bottom