Which Blue Copper Marans rooster should I keep?

To properly determine which Maran is better we would need a straight on side profile view. How old is your cockerel? Depending on age he still may have some filling out and molting to do before you know exactly how he lines up to the standard.

According to the US Maran Club the male guidelines are:

"
COMB: Single, moderately large, straight, upright, evenly serrated with five points; the blade not touching the neck.

BEAK: Long, stout and well curved.

FACE: Smooth, skin fine and soft in texture.

EYES: Large and prominent.

WATTLES: Medium in size, oval, skin fine in texture.

EAR-LOBES: Average in size, long.

HEAD: Moderate in size, slightly flattened on top, and long.

NECK: Moderately long and full, arched. Hackle abundant, flowing well over the shoulders.

BACK: Wide at the shoulders, long, flat, slightly tilted to the rear. Slightly more inclined than that of the female.

Saddle feathers--abundant, saddle large and slightly raised.

TAIL: Full, rather short, carried at an angle of 45 degrees above horizontal.
Main tail feathers--broad and overlapping, shorter than average.

Sickles--shorter than average.

WINGS: Short, held close to the body, carriage nearly horizontal.
Primaries and secondaries -- broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.

BREAST: Strong, broad, and full. Well rounded when viewed from both the front and side.

BODY AND FLUFF: Body--deep, long and broad, especially through the shoulders which are carried high. Overall, rectangular in shape.
Fluff--medium in length.

LEGS and TOES: Legs set well apart and straight when viewed from the front.
Lower thighs--strong and well feathered.
Shanks--medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides.
Toes--four long and well-separated toes on each foot. Outer toes lightly feathered, middle toes free from feathers.

PLUMAGE: Moderately tight and smooth textured."

Here are some pictures of Blue Copper Maran Roosters at shows taken from the US Maran Website:
rs=w_1300,h_800.jpeg

rs=w_1300,h_800 (2).jpeg

Edit: I also wanted to add that when it comes to conformation with animals angles are everything. Here is a guide for Maran Roosters:
rs=w_666,cg_true,m.jpeg

Currently I like your second Rooster better, but again he could change quite a bit depending on his age. It also depends on lines. I have found that the European lines seem to be less lanky compared to American.

Last edited:
To properly determine which Maran is better we would need a straight on side profile view. How old is your cockerel? Depending on age he still may have some filling out and molting to do before you know exactly how he lines up to the standard.

"
COMB: Single, moderately large, straight, upright, evenly serrated with five points; the blade not touching the neck.

NECK: Moderately long and full, arched. Hackle abundant, flowing well over the shoulders.

BACK: Wide at the shoulders, long, flat, slightly tilted to the rear. Slightly more inclined than that of the female.

Primaries and secondaries -- broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.

BREAST: Strong, broad, and full. Well rounded when viewed from both the front and side.

BODY AND FLUFF: Body--deep, long and broad, especially through the shoulders which are carried high. Overall, rectangular in shape.
Fluff--medium in length.

Shanks--medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides.
Toes--four long and well-separated toes on each foot. Outer toes lightly feathered, middle toes free from feathers.

Here are some pictures of Blue Copper Maran Roosters at shows taken from the US Maran Website:
View attachment 3283803
View attachment 3283805

Edit: I also wanted to add that when it comes to conformation with animals angles are everything. Here is a guide for Maran Roosters:
View attachment 3283814

Currently I like your first Rooster better, but again he could change quite a bit depending on his age. It also depends on lines. I have found that the European lines seem to be less lanky compared to American.

That is really interesting, do you happen to know standards on other breeds? Game chickens for example? Are there any pages where one can search.

Like I said before it's all developed by the breeders

"

Fluff--medium in length.

View attachment 3283803
View attachment 3283805

View attachment 3283814

Currently I like your first Rooster better, but again he could change quite a bit depending on his age. It also depends on lines. I have found that the European lines seem to be less lanky compared to American.
the photos of the Blue copper marans rooster at from the show are horrible .they should be disqualify .
chooks man

I have two Blue Copper Marans boys that look very different

I need to give away some of my excess roosters so I'd like to know which boy I should keep and which I should give away.

My Blue Copper Rooster is dark blue with dark reddish hackles.
And my Blue Copper Cockerel is a lighter gray with orangey / copper hackles.

Which boy is more in line with the standard Blue Copper Marans appearance/coloring?
Could the other boy be impure? If so what's causing his color to look off?

Blue Copper Rooster:
View attachment 3282284

Blue Copper Cockerel:View attachment 3282285
the 2nd young rooster is more of marans type .his copper is lighter but he has a complete body marking and a proper marans body type 'rectangular ' this guy is a keep .
if you want to know more about marans and how to breed them go to this thread . ' international black copper marans ' we talk about every thing marans in there .

1665204210980.png

chooks man

here a photos of one of my Blue copper marans rooster . sold his today .
1665205207198.png

here a photos of the 2nd Blue copper rooster I sold yesterday .he is big boy
1665205324002.png

here a nice one
1665205638405.png

chooks man

the 2nd young rooster is more of marans type .his copper is lighter but he has a complete body marking and a proper marans body type 'rectangular ' this guy is a keep .
if you want to know more about marans and how to breed them go to this thread . ' international black copper marans ' we talk about every thing marans in there .

View attachment 3284421
chooks man
Thank you! Would it be worth letting my darker Rooster in with my pen of Black Copper girls for a bit before I rehome him just to get a variety of different colored chicks? Or should I avoid this? I'm not planning on showing, so I'm okay with a few pet quality chicks. But I don't really want to breed him if he's a mixed breed / not a purebred Blue Copper. I can't tell whether he just has a unique color/pattern or if he's a mixed breed mutt.

Thank you! Would it be worth letting my darker Rooster in with my pen of Black Copper girls for a bit before I rehome him just to get a variety of different colored chicks? Or should I avoid this? I'm not planning on showing, so I'm okay with a few pet quality chicks. But I don't really want to breed him if he's a mixed breed / not a purebred Blue Copper. I can't tell whether he just has a unique color/pattern or if he's a mixed breed mutt.
it is not his coloring what worry me .it is his body type ,, need a better photo of him to decide if he is good to to use or not .
the young cockerel has all the marans body type traits .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom