which breed according to others ???

strangeanimal

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
Belgium
I'm starting to get doubts about this hen , she doesn't act like others of her breed and has an other kind of color I havent seen yet here . She looks brown and ( on pics barely noticeable ) she has gold / more like blonde instead of copper , she should be a black copper marans but could be a mixedbreed , there were buff orpingtons , a black roo , and all kinds of hens there so I really doubt it now . Anyone who can see if she is a mixture by mistake what kind she is ? and if a marans only please be so kind to confirm your idea ... thx ps sorry about the weird messy background
Foto0779.jpg
Foto0779.jpg
Foto0780.jpg

no one ? Mixed hen or full marans blackcopper ? if i check other maranshens they have or a different known kind of color like lavender etc but this should be black and she looks way much browner irl and not black at all , so comparing even my roo I see the roo is black with blue shine and has copper , this one has brown only with very blonde / gold , since I don't know the sexlinked stuff good enough I would say a cross between a marans bc and a buff orpington , no ? pf I donno :) , just wanna know for sure , oh and this might be a ' dumb ' question for others but into my eyes there is no such thing as dumb questions if it comes to certainty or whatever it may be , you can only learn right ? or reject ofcourse .. and if you'd believe this is a stupid question that is a marans , oke the better but I don't know since there were many crosses ( by accident ) all looking quite similar to eachother and some just obviously different after their parent(s) but this one ? Hey I'm also new in this :D , before I was the owner of all these lovely fluffy stuffy animals I ofcourse did not pay a lot of attention as it was not something we as a kid found interesting ( teens hangout ) ... The breeds present first of all and the hens looking similar to her , first breeds there : orpingtons black + buff , they had 5 roo's wherefrom one buff and one black orpington , altough that last one is doubtfull and is just a 'black coloured roo ' with suspicion on written above , the rest was 2 unknown breed roo and marans roo , hens : harcu ( something that is like a hybrid ) , marans bc , buff hen , black orpington , and anoher black kind of hen unknown , sussex ( what is not in my mind )

Last edited:
Looks like a Black sex-link
hi thanks ! so she is not a marans black copper right ? because I believe a BCM is red sexlink ? ( again I could be wrong in this ) she lays one time a white egg and other times big chocolate eggs , that last thing is why the previous owners assumed this one to be a marans b c but they also say she might be a mixed breed by mistake because they had even a hen looking like her a bit with buff neck that lays chocolate coloured eggs , from that one they believe it is a cross of marans and buff orpington rooster but this one should be marans yet does not have the charasteristics of one , she also defends herself better in a mixed flock then the marans I already have plus the outlook and pattern of her colours and feathers is much different than the marans I have , my girls are having more a black outlook and the pattern on the chest ( the waves ) is lacking in all my marans plus they are having more a copper colour while this one is blonde , any ideas about the possible parents ?

hi thanks ! so she is not a marans black copper right ? because I believe a BCM is red sexlink ? ( again I could be wrong in this ) she lays one time a white egg and other times big chocolate eggs , that last thing is why the previous owners assumed this one to be a marans b c but they also say she might be a mixed breed by mistake because they had even a hen looking like her a bit with buff neck that lays chocolate coloured eggs , from that one they believe it is a cross of marans and buff orpington rooster but this one should be marans yet does not have the charasteristics of one , she also defends herself better in a mixed flock then the marans I already have plus the outlook and pattern of her colours and feathers is much different than the marans I have , my girls are having more a black outlook and the pattern on the chest ( the waves ) is lacking in all my marans plus they are having more a copper colour while this one is blonde , any ideas about the possible parents ?
Black Copper Marans are a standard breed while Black sex-links and Red sex-links are hybrids bred to lay a lot of eggs for the first few years and be able to sex at hatch. It is very possible that she is a mixed breed, its kind of hard to tell what her real coloring is could you get a better picture?

OK , I already had the suspicion she is not a bcm , (swears a lot now lol ) . The parentage is indeed not easy to know if you see what breeds there were , they had and roosters and hens of every breed which makes it more difficult and certainly the fact they did not even know what all the breeds exactly were , some of them were just refered to as ' the one that is that colour ' or ' the one that is looking at the left right now ' , I did ask for the breeds but they were just as clueless as I am altough this one got listed as a BCM and I found her indeed quite pretty so I also assumed she was a BCM as they quikly showed them to me and I noticed the colours , now it was much darker in there so at first sight she just looked like a Marans to me but back home I already said to myself ' hmm now I see her in the sunshine I do get doubts about that one , is he really a Marans ? that is a very beautifull one then but she is I don't know , she doesn't seem to be what a BCM usually is ' , and few days later then I noticed the behavior was not like the Marans , she is defending herself if she has to and she is actually more flighty , I got stunned by her being so flighty actually . She does trust me and knows I'm the one that is taking care for her but each bcm just lets the daily return happen ( other hens too besides the barred rock girl ) and she is right away flighty as soon as I just enter the run and come near the coop , same applies for feeding her , a bcm eats it right in front of me while she just waits if I am standing too close ( I give the scraps always out of the hand and a part of it , for the ones that are not that petty I put in a feedingdish about half a meter away from me and even they approach then but she doesn't , she waits untill she notices I'm done feeding and cleaning the coop , so it is not that she is really frightened or anything , she is just not as tame , docile as the others , certainly not the behavior of a bcm , ALL my BCM eat either out of the hand or eat it when I put it in the dish as fast as they can be with or without me standing / sitting there and they are more petty , and really all of them , some more , some less but they are , she is not , plus all bcm's and other colours of Marans stay in a group together , always ! she is not hanging out with them , she hangs out more with the roo and is high in ranking in the flock yet not over the barred rocks :D but she does hang out with them , the rocks , the roo and sometimes with the orpingtongirl that is lonely but never with the bcms :( and I wanted to make sure they were no longer in such minority to defend themselfs a little bit more and have company , nope ain't gonna happen with this one :( . So also another question raised my mind by reading your replies , wherefor I'm truely gratefull btw ! and that question is , she should be a black sexlink right ? even when she is some kind of hybride she still is a black sex linked or not ? because the BCM roo here already gave her a ' warm welcome to the flock , cheers , jump ' I would like to know what the youngsters would look like by the cross of my bcm roo (that 1 is for sure a bcm :) ) , just wanted to cross a Marans with a black sexlink but if she is a hybrid , is she still useable for a cross or not at all ???
I'm gonna have to wait untill the afternoon for pics as I gotto go to work but not sure when I can get home because on a sunday they usually don't like it when I take of . C u all later today with better pics ( this shot is taken in the garage for the first time opening the box and putted them on the place where the old broodycoop stands that was going to be restored so had to use the ' flash ' , my apologie for that ) have a good day / night all and TY very much !!!

She's a black sex link I believe, though she just may be a mix of uncertain parentage.
yeah that is one of the reasons she was in a large group of hens for free , second reason was they HAD to leave because the owners are in fact also just new owners since the wife 's parent died and she inharited the chickens with the house ofcourse but she doesn't want them plus she would like the area they lived in to be used for something else so they had to get rid of ' older hens ' but selling was not an option due their ages , it seems not many people have interest in a chicken older than one year :D .
I believe what already someone else here wrote , a hybrid , she can lay up to THREE eggs daily ! and I speak about 3 HUGE chocolate eggs even too big for a normal eggcarton ! couldn't get them in lol ! and other days she lays two ( the usual , she lays one each morning and one very late in the evening on the daily basis ) ofcourse the eggs vary not only in colour but also in size , the third egg is the one day an average sized one white , sometimes also chocolate or lightbrown and other days she lays three big eggs , when they are big they appear to be all chocolate , so I'm afraid it is a hybrid ( which is not prefered here AT ALL ) it is already a bit disapointing she ain't what she should have been , a BCM but if it is a hybrid grrrr that is gonna blow my day since I have done a lot of trouble to get the flock small and only with breeds I want plus the previous area is no longer available , they have now a smaller run /coop and so the remaining flock only exist in the breeds I like to breed trough as well , accidentally switching an egg to hatch in a few weeks from a hybrid that wouldn't breed a black sexlink trough is certainly the LAST thing I want to happen ( I don't know much about that sexlinked stuff and certainly not if it comes to hybrids :( ) thanks for the input and I wish you a good day / night !

Back
Top Bottom