which breed!!!!!!! Anconas... Or swedishes!!!!!!!!! Help!!!

There are so many posts! Its gonna be hard to quote and reply to all of them
lol.png

FLChickens: I didnt say that my parents are paying for them. I pay for them completly. Yeah, my mom help now and them. But 90% of the feed that goes in their bodies is bought me. (i work on my moms farm and get paid to feed tye animals, except the ducks)

Everyone gave wonderful advice. I feel foolish now
lol.png
and should think before saying/doing. I hope none of you are upset/mad at me for jumping from this to that. I would be mad at me......

Duckyfromoz: as farmgirl09 said, if you read more of my older topics you would find out that the muscovies ended up being rouens, and I am keeping them... Because I dont have the heart to eat/sell them.

JulieNKC: how is puting them all in the freezer to start over BETTER then rehoming them? I think it would be cruel to eat them to start over, rather then rehoming them...

Thanks again guys!

FLChickens:thats a good idea and im NOT gonna be getting anymore ducks for a while.....
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Oh, and im not getting any of those birds in my siggy except the silkies, but those are for my mom.... The rest are just in my dream.... Lol!

Exactly the point I was trying to make by mentioning your " muscovies" - You loved them when you didnt even know what breed they were.

You appreciated the individual duck for its personality and character, for the wonderful colour of it feathers and its cute little quacking voice- as your mother says- they are ducks.... Dont get so caught up in breeds and you will have a greater appreciation for the individual personality and character of each one that you own.

Quote:
Yes, I did love them even though I had no idea what they were
lol.png
and where does my mom come in? lol!

Duckgirl89, it's good that you are thinking harder now about your plans. I hope you really enjoy and fully appreciate the ones you have now. All ducks are wonderful, as are the ones you own right now.

I'd just like to add that I don't agree with the view that ducks can be moved around places multiple times and still be content as long as they have shelter, food and water. Ducks thrive on stability and routine in a familiar environment. They become used to the humans and other animals aruond them. Repeated change, new environments and different people and animals to adjust to will eventually take their toll. All ducks can expect to have a change of home at some point in their lives (e.g. hatched by one person and bought by another) but it is not kind to move them repeatedly.

I think, in some cases, it can be nicer to send a duck to freezer camp than on to a new home.
I think it is not really true that ducks are "just as happy anywhere", I think moving around is rough on ducks.
I also don't think anyone can know how the person buying your ducks will really treat them. Are there great homes out there? Of course. But, I think that more often than not, they are not better off somewhere else.
I am not saying I think ANYONE is irresponsible for making the choices they make, and we all need to make the management decisions that suit us & our ducks best, but I think sometimes that DOES mean freezer camp. The time of year, where you live, the duck's individual personality, etc. all vary, just like the right answer will in these matters.

Prudence is a good thing, Duckgirl. I think we all love your enthusiasm & Joie de Vive. I worry sometimes you will burn through your love of ducks at the rate you are going, but I am sure your family is also thinking about what is best for you.

I don't think anyone is mad at you, or judging you or your family, just giving good advice. Slow down, you have your whole life ahead of you! And hang onto that energy! My goodness, if you could bottle it I'd take 2.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think it's better to rehome them. However, it seems people think it is irresponsible to keep a duck for a few months, then rehome, but not to keep a duck for a few months and then eat it. If we were talking dogs or something, I think it would be extremely irresponsible to get one a few months then rehome it, but ducks I don't think care one way or another. As long as you have a market for the ducks you get, and can sell them, or a plan for what to do if you can't, I don't see the anything wrong with it.
If you are wanting to be a serious breeder though, you need to pick a few breeds and settle on them. It takes generations to build a good line you can call your own, and that can't be done if you keep starting over all the time. So really, it just depends on what you want.

Thank you all so much, you have all helped me through alot of strugle (and yes... I DO call this STRUGLE!) My mom says she doesnt care WHAT I do with them, as long as I have under 12 ducks
lol.png
that doesnt help me much. Lol! I think I will focus more on my welsh harlequins. Try and get my lines better. And insted of filling up the room I have with swedish, and mutt ducks, try and fill it up with some better strains of welshie ducks. (which I am 100% in LOVE with!) Thanks again guys!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan. And if you really want other breeds, just get one instead of pairs or trios. Then just don't hatch their eggs. That way you can still have variety, and work towards your breeding goals. I still want a few more breeds (buffs, maybe welsh's) just to decide what I want for sure. Then I'll cull the one's that don't fit. But not until I"m sure what I've decided is what I want for sure.

Back
Top Bottom