Which breed has been your most gentle?

There always seems to be 1 bird outta every breed I raise that has a more docile personality than the others in their flock. I usta have a white ameraucana bantam thatd fly on ur sholders and I had a crele oegb that loved to be picked up and held, those 2 always stuck out to me 🤟

My orpingtons have always been gentle and sweet. Haven't had a mean one yet but every bird has its own personality. I also had a golden sex link that was super lovely.

To other chickens: Orpington

To people: Brahma and Silkies
This is true! My Orpingtons are really great birds, they get along with all the chickens so well. They are friendly and easy to handle when we need to, but I don’t think of them as my most gentle to humans chickens. Orps are awesome birds, but my gentle cuddly birds are hands down my silkies and Ameraucanas 😍

This is true! My Orpingtons are really great birds, they get along with all the chickens so well. They are friendly and easy to handle when we need to, but I don’t think of them as my most gentle to humans chickens. Orps are awesome birds, but my gentle cuddly birds are hands down my silkies and Ameraucanas 😍
Agreed! 100%

My Brahmas are very gentle with any other chicken I had, the roosters don't fight at all, both if they grow up in the flock or if I introduce them as adults. Until a week ago, I had 6 roosters altogether, 4 of which were Brahmas, zero problems.
All my Brahmas are friendly to humans, too, they come near me and let me pet them. When I call them for treats I see a flock of running giant chickens that seems will trample you😆. Not everyone enjoys being held, but they still stay calm if I pick them up.
Anyway, I had two identical brothers (born in different clutches), which were extremely skittish, I still don't know why, I raise all the chicks the same way, maybe they were just like this.

This is Cao, the head rooster
IMG_20210317_101410.jpg

IMG-20210421-WA0035.jpeg

IMG_20210316_181511_2.jpg

Then there are the Bantam Cochins. The females are the most peaceful chickens I ever had, they enjoy being held and will fall asleep on your lap. As for the boys, they don't fight with other roosters as well (as they were introduced to the flock, one of the two didn't want to leave alone one grumpy broody that I was breaking😩, but they're best friends now😉), they run as crazy when I call them for the treats and they are hylarious, two balls of fluff that run so fast. Though, the roos don't like being held at all (they won't fight you, but they will grumble to let you know), but they are not aggressive.

IMG_20210918_163124.jpg

IMG_20211007_223009.jpg

IMG_20210918_163739.jpg

My Bielefelders are the sweetest for sure but also so docile that they are at the bottom of the Pecking order. My Buff Orpingtons are pretty sweet as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6474.JPG
    IMG_6474.JPG
    428.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7297.jpg
    IMG_7297.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7211.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom