Which breed lays the darkest brown egg?

rhodiegal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 18, 2007
North Georgia
Hey guys! I have a Cuckoo Maran that lays brown eggs that are not much darker than the ones laid by my Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons. I was a bit dissappointed. I usually order from Ideal for the small numbers and they offer Marans, Barnevelders and Welsummers. I read somewhere that Barnevelders in the US lay normal brown colored eggs. What I really want is a super dark chocolate brown. Any recommendations?

Perhaps you should look for a breeder of Cuckoo Marans that has a flock that lays really dark eggs. That way you will know that your chickens come from good stock.
They will probably cost more than a commercial hatchery charges but the old saying is you get what you pay for.

Most of my chickens have come from commercial hatcheries and I have been happy with them so I am not putting down commercial hatcheries, I'm just saying that you have no gaurantee of a particular trait that you are looking for in a chicken if you order from a hatchery.

Black copper Marans and Penedesencas are known for the darkest eggs. Try eggbid for chicks now and sometimes you can find them here. Or just buy some dark eggs and hatch them.

I have seen alot of Black Copper Marans for sale in our local Farmers Bulletin and wondered about them - maybe I ought to purchase some locally and give them a try. Lovinlife - you wondered if perhaps she was not a Maran. There are two subtle differences that I can see between the Maran and the Barred Rocks - the Maran's legs are yellow as opposed to the Rocks who are flesh colored. The barring on the Cuckoo is less vivid as the Rock as well. Body build and combs are basically the same on both - hope I didn't get an accident!

Back
Top Bottom