Which breed of barred rooster should I use?

LeahBates6

Hatching
Dec 4, 2017
I have been wanting to breed a new unrelated line of buff barred Orpingtons. I have been unable to find any barred orpingtons near me. Which breed of roo should I use to create this new line? I would prefer that the offspring of the first generation maintain good egg laying abilities and be close to the size an Orpington should be. Suggestions?​

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

That sounds like an interesting project. :pop

Really, I don't know much about the buff gene yet. I know you can get barred in Lavender but that's a derivative of black which may not have any impact.

What I would think you would do is breed a barred hen like rock or even cuckoo Marans (just brainstorming) with the buff Orpington rooster.

But I wonder if the hen being the barred parent is only relevant to the sex linking trait and the barred roosters will still pass on his barring to the offspring or not.

I wonder if it would similar to Lemon Cuckoo... Quick google search turned up this...
cimg1728.jpg

Looks like what your describing to me. :love
https://www.google.com/search?q=lem...AhXFOiYKHfo1CQcQ9QEILzAC#imgrc=s3kgeQ-I2Y9EBM:

I'd keep looking for an Orpington. If you out cross to another breed not only will you no longer have pure Orpingtons, you'll loose the Orpington shape and type. And shape is much harder to control than color. If you cross to another breed it will take many generations to get them pure again.

If you absolutely had to and had no other choice. . . You should breed to a Barred Cochin "large breed of course". That would be the overall closest to the Orpington in shape. And would have the same comb as well. You'll have to breed out the leg feathering and cull for yellow legs of course.

Back
Top Bottom