Which breed of duck for me?

Brian999

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
CA
Im interested in an all purpose duck for eggs, meat, and one that are good foragers. I was looking at starting a small flock. I had 2 crested swedish ducks 2 years ago, both were hens. they grew really fast, but I gave them away to a friend of mine. He still had them, and when I told him Im getting back into keeping poultry he gave them back to me. He said they laid ok, but have slowed down. I'm not sure why. There is a silver, and black one. Unfortunately, for the silver one, I woke up one morning, to only find her head. Im going to keep the other, but would like to find a breed (or maybe even this breed) that can produce well naturally, can't fly (I free range them during the day), lay well, and aren't that noisy. Im not sure if it's because my black swedish is alone but she is LOUD. Louder then a rooster, and is really noisy during the morning, and night.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Quote:
I just looked those up they did mention that were bred for egg and meat production, but I saw nothing that mentioned if they are noisy or not, are they?

I heard Muscovy ducks are quite. Do they fly pretty well? Are they work good for meat, and egg production?

I have a large pond at my house, which they would have access to when they are loose. It's 5000+ gallons and fairly long and has a large creak thats about 16' long that birds love to splash in. It's fairly deep, but would they harm the fish if they could reach them?

Last edited:
My Cayuga is REALLY quiet and doesnt fly. Lays me and egg a day.

Scovies are said to be good meat birds, are quiet, great egg layers, but they DO fly. People say they dont but I have a HUGE scovie drake around here that takes off like a hawk.

runners are very prolific layers but bad at meat so thats not an option i have swedes and they are very moody layers but i LOVE them hmmmm........ my old Anconas were good layers and they are a medium size bird so they would be fairly good meat birds!

Back
Top Bottom