Which breed of rooster makes the most traditional Cock-A-Doodle-Doo?

Goronson Chicks

Songster
Sep 13, 2014
Maine
Our Cream Legbar just yells and the Black Marans made a 2-part call. But neither one sounds traditional, so which breed of rooster really makes the most traditional Cock-A-Doodle-Doo?
Thank you,
Maureen

ChickenChaser9

Songster
Feb 3, 2016
Colonel Cluck, my Black Jersey Giant Roo has a very traditional sounding crow. Of course chickens cannot make a vocalization that sounds like 'cock' its more like 'awk' but I know what you mean and the Colonel has a very good sounding voice.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Our Cream Legbar just yells and the Black Marans made a 2-part call. But neither one sounds traditional, so which breed of rooster really makes the most traditional Cock-A-Doodle-Doo?
Thank you,
Maureen
Will be interested to see the responses to this thread that address the cadence you ask about...I have wondered also.

Most cock/erels I've had and heard do not do more than a 3 beat crow, cock-a-doo...
...not sure I've ever heard a 5 beat crow, cock-a-doo-dle-doo.

bobbi-j

Enabler
11 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Will be interested to see the responses to this thread that address the cadence you ask about...I have wondered also.

Most cock/erels I've had and heard do not do more than a 3 beat crow, cock-a-doo...
I currently have 10 cockerels and they each have a different crow. The one that I think has the most "traditional" sound is one on my cull list, and one sounds like he's being strangled. I have one with a higher pitched crow, and one with the same type of crow only lower pitched, if that makes any kind of sense.

Gray Farms

Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock
5 Years
Apr 11, 2016
NW Missouri
Its not so much the breed as it is the individual bird. Case in point my Cream Legbar does make a very "traditional" cock-a-doodle-doooo. Or as close as a rooster can to speaking English lol.

Goronson Chicks

Songster
Sep 13, 2014
Maine

I haven't either and wondered why this title is so prevalent - or do I just have the wrong variety of rooster.

Top Bottom